Spray shellac & lacquer - acceptable lowest temperatures?
Hello all - I'm building two oak wall cabinets that will hold 8 horizontal pieces for name badges (local church fellowship) - the units are 18" x 40" - I'm thinking about finishing options w/ the weather getting colder - brushing would be sloppy w/ all of the smaller pieces - I could wipe on a finish in the heated basement - bought several cans of spray shellac for the initial coat and then spray lacquer (also have some spray poly) - however, I really do not want to spray in the basement w/ the types of volatiles in these cans - what would be the lowest temps to spray outside (was 50 F today). Thanks for any suggestions - Dave

Piedmont North Carolina
I can only say that 50F is plenty for shellac. I buy flake/seed/button from these guys and mix my own that way I know what I am getting. I've wiped shellac down to 20F and sprayed close to 0F. I've no idea on lacquer as after some tests I don't use it.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I've sprayed lacquer as low as 25ยบ outside, let it sit a few minutes and bring it in with no problems. Both are evaporative finishes...as long as the solvent can evaporate it's not too cold. I'll spray shellac inside, but not lacquer...I always spray it outdoors.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

I'll spray shellac inside, but not lacquer...I always spray it outdoors.

+100

I have sprayed the lacquer in my garage - whoa! Never again. If Fred says it can be sprayed down to 25 degrees, I believe him. I have sprayed lacquer down to 60 outside in the sunshine without problem It looks like we may have some warm weather this week (Christmas week) - but very high humidity & rain here in Tenn. (your weather is usually a day behind ours).

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Don't know about lacquer, but I've successfully sprayed shellac outside in temps below 32 degrees. As long as the air is dry, I don't think temperature is a problem with shellac.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Thanks all for your useful and experienced responses - I've used the spray shellac outside when chilly and then brought the project in immediately; not sure about the spray lacquer (the directions on the can gives no useful information except to say the finish may whiten if the humidity is to high) - being in North Carolina, I'll try to spray when the outside temps get to 50F or above - no deadline, so can wait until a 'balmy' day or two! Comments much appreciated - Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Evaporative solvent based finishes like lacquer and shellac can be applied at very low temperatures. Drying may be slowed but it will still dry in less than an hour.

I have sprayed by at or below freezing with no negative effects except for the slightly slower drying times.
Howie.........
Howard Acheson said:

Evaporative solvent based finishes like lacquer and shellac can be applied at very low temperatures. Drying may be slowed but it will still dry in less than an hour.

I have sprayed by at or below freezing with no negative effects except for the slightly slower drying times.

Thanks Howie for the comments above - this weekend in Piedmont, NC, the daytime temps hit just above 50F, so I had no problem w/ those rattle cans - good to know that the temps can be lower because I have a few more projects to do - Dave
Piedmont North Carolina