Basement Hopper Windows
I have two basement hoppers that I would like to replace. These are simple aluminum frames,with glass panes that fit into the steel frame that was set into porued concrete. Some initial google searches shows people removing the metal frame and how much of a hassle it is.

I can custom order hoppers to fit inside the steel frame, but I am wondering if it would be a beter option to remove the metal frame. That metal looks pretty substantial and removal looks like it will be a major PITA.

If I left the metal frame, How would I mount the window inside of it?

Basement is unfinished, but I would like to finish it in the near future and need better windows.
Fine Homebuilding recently had an article about replacing these windows. As I recall, they didn't remove the metal
Here you go: window replacement window replacement
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
If thats the video I watched eariler, then I guess I will be removing the metal window frame.
I removed the metal with an angle grinder and I think I used the 10 lb sledge too.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Spoke with a glass shop yesterday to get a quote for the windows. They sugested leaving the steel in place. I am waiting to see their quote and may have them come and install them.

I took another look at the windows last night and there is about 2" of concrete above the metal frame so removing the frame would mean removing that concrete also. I think I will refer to the professionals and just have them do it.
EatenByLimestone said:

I removed the metal with an angle grinder and I think I used the 10 lb sledge too.

If you use a grinder on aluminum, wear plenty of protection. Aluminum building up in a grinding wheel and expanding can make it shatter. Normally, folks don't use grinders on aluminum. If the frames are steel, have at it with the grinder.
It was really thick steel. I didn't know that about al though. Thank you!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy