Burlington Wide Belt Sander-Ridges/chatter Marks
I bought a old burlington sander got it up and running and it works perfect with the exception of after you run a board it makes ridges the you cant see until you sand/stain it.

I do not know much about wide belt sanders any ideas what I need to do to correct this?
What grit ?

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Quote:

I bought a old burlington sander

The troubleshooting guide for a Timesavers wide belt sander is over one hundred bullet points long

rippling can be anything from bad bearings to worn feed drive parts.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

120 Grit
and so long as the belt is not worn out and old the belt will have no bearing on the issue at hand....
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I would first eliminate the platen and grooves in the rollers from guys trying to take off too much material.

A lot of used widebelt sanders have been HEAVILY used and abused by guys who think they can take off a 1/16th. First you hear the screeching then you see the smoke coming out of the sander and all i can do is shake my head.
Thats why i am the only one who uses my widebelt sander.

No platen, just hard rubber drum looks to be in good shape it is kind of spiral groves going around looks to be fine?
you can continue to ignore the inevitable and keep asking here for someone to come up with the magic bullet to fix the issue.

it will be faster to just start eliminating potential issues.

IOW you bought a used machine without the knowledge to understand that they get abused regularly and by purchasing this one you bought someone elses mess

now to fix it you have to spend more time trying to chase down a herd of cats...

I cannot be gentle on this one; so for those who do not like the message, at least be happy it was not you that made this mistake.....

I have actually never heard of Burlington. Kind of reminds me of the old Ramco sanders.

Wow

Just looking for some advice on possible reasons for this not a magic bullet but thanks for the help.

P.S. Have a Merry Christmas