Scrollsaw Christmas Presents
Here's what I did this year for stocking stuffers for family. They are 3D ornaments out of basswood, dyed, and sprayed with glitter paint,

John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
John those are
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Excellent work John! I admire your patience for cutting all of those out.

Your family will be blessed to get those as gifts! Thanks for sharing.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
John,

They look great, and will look even better hanging on a tree.

Did you really get these finished so far ahead of Christmas, or are these a little late for Christmas 2014?

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
See ya later,
Bill
Very nice John.

Cool thing about those compound cut ornaments is that people can't figure out how you did them.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I saw a guy making them at one of the wood shows. I really thought they were cool. The first couple of years I used cherry and maple - they looked nice but really hard to make. I switched to basswood a couple of years ago - much easier but needs to be dyed.

Those were all from this year. It takes about a 20 minutes per piece. I use the ground blades.

These are from the book by Diana Thompson. Once you get the idea of how they are made it's easy to make your own design.

Patience is the key and square stock.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I wanna make some of the compound cut birdhouse ornaments some day, but they look best natural, or with a clear finish/oil. The woods best suited for that are, of course, harder to cut. I saw some made out of aromatic red cedar once. Maybe I'll try that.

link
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Very nice! I put the book in my wish list.

Doug
Very nice John
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop