Worst compliment ever
I have been receiving that compliment since I started doing woodworking for others. My interpretation is that many people associated hand-made with low quality and often that is what I see at yard sales and gifts that others have given. To me, the comment "looks store-bought" means you can't tell its been hand-made, no flaws, well-finished, and quality work. I have come to accept this type of comment as high praise from non-woodworker types!!!
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Yes, non woodworkers think that wood, tools, and time are almost free. They think we make stuff to save money. And yes, homemade is associated with poorer quality than "store bought".

Oh well, at least she didn't ask you to make a solid wood bookcase, and then say "$20 should cover it, right?"
People can say idiotic things. Friends are often the worst offenders. A friend once told me, "It looks like it was professionally made."
"It WAS professionally made, you ****!" "I made it!"
Rich's Woodcraft said:

I have been receiving that compliment since I started doing woodworking for others. My interpretation is that many people associated hand-made with low quality and often that is what I see at yard sales and gifts that others have given. To me, the comment "looks store-bought" means you can't tell its been hand-made, no flaws, well-finished, and quality work. I have come to accept this type of comment as high praise from non-woodworker types!!!

+1
Paul K. Murphy said:

People can say idiotic things. Friends are often the worst offenders. A friend once told me, "It looks like it was professionally made."
"It WAS professionally made, you ****!" "I made it!"

Isn't it amazing how people don't activate their mind before they engage their mouth. Is that the response you gave? If it is kudos, because you said what I would have just thought!!!!
Well, if she means "It's not made from 2X4s and deck screws!" then I guess I'd take it as a complement. If she means, "I could have just grabbed this off the shelf at Target," I'd be a little sullen.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bibliophile 13 said:

Well, if she means "It's not made from 2X4s and deck screws!" then I guess I'd take it as a complement. If she means, "I could have just grabbed this off the shelf at Target," I'd be a little sullen.

"I saw this at Target for $99"

Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I take the compliments in the spirit with which they were intended. Life's a lot more enjoyable that way.

Very nice cradle, BTW.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I made that same one for my first daughter who turned 13 yesterday. Two daughters later, we gave it to some friends. A couple of years later they asked if it was OK to give to some friends of their who had admired it. I said of course. I'm glad that it is still getting used.
Signature
Unless one's a woodworker or works in the furniture industry, chances are one doesn't know how to spot quality handmade furniture. So, if I ever get a comment like that, I take it as a compliment. Something like, "wow, you are as good as a professional." The ultimate compliment is when you're told it's better than what they can find commercially.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill