Miniature (Pocket) Flag Cases
I started building these after my Son had deployed to Iraq the first time in 2008, he returned home and I went out to meet up with him and Some other Patriot Guard Riders at the time in Colorado one member gave me one of these pocket flags that was given to deploying Soldiers. He asked me if I could build a flag case this small. I took it as a Challenge. and then my Son re-deployed for his second tour to Iraq in 2009. Upon his return home, he brought me a pocket flag that had been given to him during his deployment. After building another couple of cases and my Son's third tour and again he brought myself and his mother a pocket flag. I decided to start building these and added them to my website. over the years I've sold groups of ten or twenty at a time. but now I've got a customer who is wanting to start ordering these in bulk orders.

First one I built, given to me from a PGR friend of mine.

Cutting the stock down to build these.

Cutting the 45 degree miters.

Set in the jig after gluing the tops I add #4 screws to the bottoms.

Filling cracks with wood filler.

Sanding the 3 sides with belt sander.

Sanding face and back with belt sander.

Using the profile sander and pad sander 120 grit for the finish sanding

Applying Polyurethane to the insides and bottoms (3 coats)

Applying Polyurethane to the face/back and sides (3 coats)

While poly is drying completely. I cut the glass to fit.

Installing the Glass (remove the screws from the bottoms install the glass and reattach the bottoms)

Installing the backing with two #4 screws.

Using the hot iron adding "Hand Crafted By"

All Complete!

This is the note that they add along with the pocket flag for the Soldiers deploying.
First and foremost let me say thank you to your son for his service to our country.

Secondly, I absolutely love these. Very well done.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
Thank You on both counts.. My Son is out of the Army now after 8+ years and 4 tours later. He's raising his little daughter and trying to land a job in DOC..

building these lil cases is time consuming, I think I could build a garage fast then working these out
The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you don't care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
~ General Colin Powell ~
Russ

You did a really nice job at both thinking it up and doing them.

I got a flag mailed to me after I got out of the hospital after the bombing and I still have to make my Retirement box.

I have been looking at many ideas and hope to make one next year. I think I now have an idea to make it now.

I still remember when your Son was going and you were going to store his car in your rental shed and you needed to sell the wood in it.

It seems such a long time ago.

Very nice seeing you posting here again.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin,

Yes That was the reason I had to empty the shed and you came along just in time at that point. I believe that was his Second tour he was starting into. He got married at that point and then while deployed his mother and I covered his divorce for 11 months until he got home to finish signing off the papers. His first wife left him 2 weeks after he deployed for a 12 month tour. It was a trip taking his car out to Colorado in the middle of winter. I put it on a car trailer with orders not to drive it out or wreck it.. we got almost to the Colorado/Kansas boarder and hit snow storm good thing it was like 3 am. the trailer and car took up both sides of the two lane interstate when the trailer decided to pass up the truck (DOH!!) I had a good friend and my Nephew with me at the time an we had to roll the windows down, because I think we all crapped our pants at the same time
This was his landing home, the Colorado Patriot Guard members worked it out for his mom, Sister and myself to be on the tarmac when their plane arrived. He walked right past me coming off the plane, but his mom jumped out and hugged him.. good thing nobody had loaded weapons LOL

Hey shoot me an email if you need any case sizes for your flag? depending on the size I have all the measurements 3X5, 4X6, 5X8/9 1/2..
Here's a photo of one of my 5X8 or Veterans Burial size cases. I added the digital photo display to this one where you can add any of your military photo's to it.

Here's a photo of that wood when I moved it to the storage shed. it took two trips loaded like this.

Here's the building of one of my 4X6 size retirement displays.
The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you don't care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
~ General Colin Powell ~
Absolutely marvelous work.
Way to go!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Awesome
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
do you have plans for them?