16/4 vs glued up 8/4 for workbench?
I'm thinking of building a workbench actually the one in Fine Woodworking. It calls for 3 1/2 inch strechers and legs out of cherry and maple top. I have enough 16/4 cherry in the basement to do the legs or a couple of the stretchers.

However I need to buy more. So am I better off to get the 16/4 to finish the rest or should I get 8/4 and do a glue up? Would the glue up be stronger than the 16/4 because of the slight lamination effect?
I glued up 8/4 hard maple for my bench, but would have used thicker material if I could have got it.
Properly laminated parts are stiffer and less likely to move than solid stock. Would you make a bench top from a single board if one were available?

With care in the milling and glue up process, they can also look as good. It is a workbench, so while it should look good, it does not need to be a masterpiece.

Just my thoughts,

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Lordy, 16/4 cherry must be just a bit expensive. I would buy which ever is cheaper, which is probably the 8/4. And as for which will be stronger, it's pretty irrelevant because either will be able to hold up the house. 3-1/2" square seems like an expensive an ill conceived approach for the stretchers. I'd be looking to use something like 8/4 stock around 6" wide. It will have greater racking resistance than something only 3-1/2" wide, and if you make it 7" wide it would have the same mass, and likely cost less.

John
jteneyck said:

And as for which will be stronger, it's pretty irrelevant because either will be able to hold up the house.

John

+1!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I just called my local supplier and 16/4 is $10.95 a board ft. and 8/4 is $5.75. I only need about 14-15 board feet. Might as well go with the 16/4 even though it won't even go through the TS. I may have them plane 2 adjoining sides before I bring it home.
Is that pricing per board foot, or per linear foot? 15 board feet at 16/4 is less than 4 sf...
It really doesn't matter strength-wise. Just figure out whether time or money is more valuable to you.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
macpiano said:

I'm thinking of building a workbench actually the one in Fine Woodworking.

Are you referring to the Shaker-style Bench in the last Tools and Shops?
Pricing is per board foot not lineal.

It is the Shaker workbench from the latest issue.