16/4 vs glued up 8/4 for workbench?
Share with us whatever you choose. It will be awesome no matter which route you go. Cant wait to see the progress. That bench looks super sweet. I had not priced out the vice hardware needed but I plan to look into that one for sure. A new bench in the new shed is planned once I get it functional (actually thinking a want 3 or so but obviously not 3 crazy awesome heirloom ones). I am thinking of using the vices I have though - I have been collecting a few when deals come up.

I am thinking I will put nicer wood on the edges and use some less expensive (meaning wood I got for cheap not cheap wood) stuff in the center. I am definitely in the laminate group here. I have the tools to manage the larger glue ups and milling so I think that will make sense for what I want.

Share with us any ideas you go with.

BTW - CONGRATS on the retirement!!!!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You've now learned that "His Majesty" (JGrout) has spoken and his word is law (in his own mind).

Personally, I would do the lamination and glue ups (did this on my bench years ago) but you should do it the way you want. I made mine largely out of hardwood pallet material, another example of why they make Fords and Chevys. If you want a bench that is not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing, you should have it.

Do it that way, best of luck and share the pictures with us please!

Doug
JGrout said:

so am I

You were looking for vilification and you did not get it.

it is obvious that you made up your mind long before you posted this question those who took a different path we took it there was room for debate

guess not

I think you meant vindication not vilification. Or maybe Freudian slip? I did not make up my mind in advance. I already have some 16/4 and I really couldn't see cutting that down to 8/4 anyways. But I will need more 16/4 thickness to complete the job.

I'm surprised that no one suggested using the 16/4 that I have for the legs which are extremely visible and using glued up for the stretchers which are not seen very much.

I'm not relishing getting that chunk of 7.5 inch by 4 inch by about 6 foot chunk of cherry and cutting the 7.5 inch in half. While the band saw is probably the best choice as I have a I believe a Wolf resaw blade and would have to take it slow on my Ridgid TS, supporting it for the bandsaw will be tricky.