16/4 vs glued up 8/4 for workbench?
That's a nice bench. I know it inside and out.
I personally would use the cheapest material I could find.

< my bench base was hardwood cribbing and a piece of salvaged red oak that was headed for the firewood pile.

It has held up just fine now for going on 20 yrs

JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

macpiano said:

... 16/4 is $10.95 a board ft. and 8/4 is $5.75...

That would make it an easy choice for me. Of course, I'd be asking what 8/4 maple cost and go with that if it was cheaper. I made the base of my bench out of pallet wood. I bought 10 or 12 pieces of 4" x 6" x 6' cherry from a pallet maker near my house. I think I paid about $5 each for them; 25 years ago. They were green so I let them sit for about 3 years before I made my bench. Some split and became firewood, but enough survived that I got all the base and top end caps out of them. The top was a lab bench top that I repurposed. The vise hardware and bench dogs cost far more than the wood. FWIW, the bench I made was based on one from Frank Klausz and was in FWW many years ago.

John
If using 16/4 a two foot by two foot table top would be 16 board feet.
The 8/4 maple is only .25 a board foot cheaper. I already have a 6 foot by 7.5 inch 4 inch thick piece of cherry. I like the visual of the cherry.
Pricing is by board foot, but USUALLY the per BF price goes up with thickness.
You pay a premium for thicker boards.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
handi said:

Pricing is by board foot, but USUALLY the per BF price goes up with thickness.
You pay a premium for thicker boards.

Ralph

And IME settle for a lot less in quality

I will laminate until I die over buying premium grade thick stock at a higher price.. I can make a couple of glue lines disappear for a whole lot less grief
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

macpiano said:

The 8/4 maple is only .25 a board foot cheaper. I already have a 6 foot by 7.5 inch 4 inch thick piece of cherry. I like the visual of the cherry.

Something is not right here, earlier you said the cherry was 10 something a board foot and the maple was 5 something, now you are saying it is only .25 cents difference. Maybe I missed something.

Just for reference, a board foot is 12inch by 12inch by 1inch. If that same piece was 4 inches thick that is 4 board foot.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Cherry in 16/4 is $10.95 a board foot. Cherry in 8/4 is $5.95 a board foot. So why would I go to all the trouble to flatten and glue up 8/4?

Maple in 8/4 is $5.50 a board foot.

I bought $600 worth of maple there about 2 years ago to make a countertop.

And yes I know what a board foot is. It is a 144 square inches multiplied by 1 inch.
macpiano said:

Cherry in 16/4 is $10.95 a board foot. Cherry in 8/4 is $5.95 a board foot. So why would I go to all the trouble to flatten and glue up 8/4?

Maple in 8/4 is $5.50 a board foot.

I bought $600 worth of maple there about 2 years ago to make a countertop.

And yes I know what a board foot is. It is a 144 square inches multiplied by 1 inch.

Because you would save $5/BF.

John