First Cutting Board
My daughter has been after me to make a cutting board for her forever. So my son told me that he wanted to make one for her for Christmas. Neither one of use had ever made one, so I told him I'd help him.

Here's how it turned out. There was one mistake on it, but we didn't notice it until it was all glued up, and ready for sanding. I'll have to take credit for the mistake.

I'm sure most of you noticed the mistake right away. But here it is. The two pieces with the arrows, should have been flip flopped.

Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
nice
know one would likely notice except you
either way nicely done
I'm more concerned about those cross pieces on the ends. I predict that they will remove themselves when it gets wet, so you might want to remove them before damage is done. Otherwise, gorgeous.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
MsNomer said:

I'm more concerned about those cross pieces on the ends. I predict that they will remove themselves when it gets wet, so you might want to remove them before damage is done. Otherwise, gorgeous.

Why do you think they will come off? I used Titebond III, which is very water resistant, on the joints. A cutting board should not be submerged in water for any length of time, and NEVER put in a dishwasher. They are just wiped clean with a damp cloth, and new oil applied ever so often.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
I agree with Carol. Your board looks very nice!

Also, you've got a wood movement problem, but you don't have to do anything about it. She was just trying to be helpful, but it will sort it's self out...
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
I have six ready to go in the oven..

Gotta get those leftovers eatin.

You got all your rows mixed up, none of them match
Maybe the oven will realign Em.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
MsNomer said:

+1
The thin strips and the field will expand and contract at different rates, and potentially separate . Should'nt be a problem if it doesn't get to wet.
I like it. I made similar looking ones for family last year for Christmas. They have all reported that they are holding up well. The one I kept for myself swells a lot with use and cleaning. Those end pieces will be off soon as they won't expand as fast as the cross grain pieces will. No big deal. When they do, just run the whole thing across the table saw to clean up the ends and re round the corners and you are good to go.
Signature
Well, like I said. This is my first one. So it's going to be a learning experience. I'll know better next time. Thanks for the comments.