Seeking nonexistent router bit
I'd like to have a bit that cuts rabbets with a very, very small radius instead of a sharp corner. Picture an upcut spiral bit with a very small radius, maybe 1/32, on the edges of the flutes.

Aside from grind-yer-own, is there such a thing?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
a 1/32" roundover at the top with a straight rabbet profile?

get your sanding block out, you have the rabbet bit already

There are two issues that you would have to overcome: first is the small radius you propose, the second is how long is the straight portion of the rabbet gong to be. It would not work real well to have a radius say 1/2" above the straight portion of the bit and only need a 3/8" deep rabbet.

Additionally, even if it was made it would have a larger profile radius than 1/32" more like 1/16" or more. Not many grind a cutter with less than that and those are hard to come by
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

It sounds like you are describing a rounded edge end mill.

John
I think I seen what you are talking about here.

http://www.infinitytools.com/1_2-Shank-T...fo/56-601/

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
JGrout said:

a 1/32" roundover at the top with a straight rabbet profile?

get your sanding block out, you have the rabbet bit already

There are two issues that you would have to overcome: first is the small radius you propose, the second is how long is the straight portion of the rabbet gong to be. It would not work real well to have a radius say 1/2" above the straight portion of the bit and only need a 3/8" deep rabbet.

Additionally, even if it was made it would have a larger profile radius than 1/32" more like 1/16" or more. Not many grind a cutter with less than that and those are hard to come by

Fair enough. 1/32 is a made up value, just meaning a small radius to soften the transition. I'm not sure I see why the length of straight cutter used would matter, aside from the radius taking an appreciable fraction of the rabbet depth...?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jteneyck said:

It sounds like you are describing a rounded edge end mill.

John

w00t!

That could do it. And I love McMaster's 5-minute delivery service. Complete the order, walk downstairs, receive package at door. Or so it seems.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I considered the question and concluded you wanted an all in one pass cutter

the reason for that conclusion was that I used to mill exterior door frame rabbets in a similar fashion but used a stack of knives( one straight and one radius on top) on the shaper to accomplish both cuts at once

there is a limiting factor when doing the same with a router bit unless the shank can utilize different thickness straight cutters..
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

I considered the question and concluded you wanted an all in one pass cutter

the reason for that conclusion was that I used to mill exterior door frame rabbets in a similar fashion but used a stack of knives( one straight and one radius on top) on the shaper to accomplish both cuts at once

there is a limiting factor when doing the same with a router bit unless the shank can utilize different thickness straight cutters..

Ah. Got it. I'm ok taking multiple passes. And the rabbets will not be large.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I ordered some stuff from McM. Carr yesterday AM and it was at my door before 10 AM today. I also bought a new sprayer from Jeff Jewitt yesterday and it came at the same time. Amazing service considering how busy the delivery companies are right now.

John
How about a bowl bit?