Shutting down water heater while gone?
Have gas(propane) water heater. When we travel can I just shut off water line that feeds cold into the heater and turn thermostat to vacation mode? Rest of house water needs to stay on as we have pets that a friend gives fresh water to daily. Thanks...Bill
Just turn the heater control to vacation. No real advantage to shutting off the water to just the heater.
Do you have a check valve or back flow valve on your water main? Do you have an expansion tank on the water heater? Would it still be in service?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

Do you have a check valve or back flow valve on your water main? Do you have an expansion tank on the water heater? Would it still be in service?

heater won't be in service.

No check valve or back flow on main line. Yes, have expansion tank on hot water line leading out of water heater. Just wanted to shut off main water line into tank in case it leaks. Thanks....Bill
As long as the expansion tank will still be on line with the heater, go for it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

My parents used to do that when they closed down their vacation home. But they had to drain the system first. If the water freezes it will burst the pipes.

It does not pay if you are not going to be away for a long time. Too much effort to drain the system.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler said:

My parents used to do that when they closed down their vacation home. But they had to drain the system first. If the water freezes it will burst the pipes.

It does not pay if you are not going to be away for a long time. Too much effort to drain the system.

He's just talking about shutting of the domestic water heater, not heat to the entire house. No draining required
It would be a pretty convenient time to drain the heater anyway.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis