Do you guys sharpen your own forstner bits or
Send them out?

I have several that need sharpened really bad and the new ones that have not been used are not really sharp either.

Please give a link if you ship them somewhere.

Thanks

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Too far to ship here Arlin, but the guy who sharpens my saw blades also sharpens my forstner bits so you might want to check locally for a guy who sharpens saw blades.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Hi, Arlin

I touch them up gently (no more) with diamond paddles that I get from Lee Valley link

Doug
I got a cheap set that were duller then a butter knife.
I sharpened the larger sizes on a 1" wide belt sander.

I am slowly replacing them with better quality forstner bits.
Doug_H said:

Hi, Arlin

I touch them up gently (no more) with diamond paddles that I get from Lee Valley link

Doug

Doug

According to the picture at Lee Valley is that the only way of sharpening a bit. What I mean is vertically on the flat part?

Do you sharpen the teeth too?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

I would not want to try that. My hands get to shaky and I would take to much off or change the grind.
It will have to be by hand.

Arlin

The real dull ones you may want to send out. Often saw sharpening services have the ability to sharpen forstners.I file the lips with an auger bit file,similar to a nail file .The spurs only can be honed on the inside of the rim ,I use a Dremel tool with a cylinder type stone.If the bit is a multi-spur than I only file the lips.
mike
Doug_H said:

Hi, Arlin

I touch them up gently (no more) with diamond paddles ...

Doug

+1
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Arlin,

I have not had to touch up saw-tooth Forstner bits, but it seems to me that you could hone the bevel on those. The main point to remember is not to hone any surface that would affect the diameter. So that means bottom or inside surfaces only. As suggested in an earlier post, very dull or damaged bits should be professionally sharpened or replaced.

Merry Christmas. Denver & the foothills may get a dusting of snow. We still have some left over from our last storm.

Doug
Doug_H said:

Arlin,

I have not had to touch up saw-tooth Forstner bits, but it seems to me that you could hone the bevel on those. The main point to remember is not to hone any surface that would affect the diameter. So that means bottom or inside surfaces only. As suggested in an earlier post, very dull or damaged bits should be professionally sharpened or replaced.

Merry Christmas. Denver & the foothills may get a dusting of snow. We still have some left over from our last storm.

Doug

Growing up in Evergreen Colorado and at 8800 feet I can still remember it snowing in every month of the year even July and August.
I sure miss the high country.

Arlin