Box with pivot hinge
Can anyone point me toward a tutorial on putting a pivot pin style hinge on a box. Video if possible
Thanks
Mark
Go check out Tommy MacDonald's website for the blanket chest. It uses a wooden pin. Check it out and make a smaller version.

http://www.tommymac.us/blog/blanket-chest-2/
WoodTinker
Hi,

Are talking about knife hinges? If so, go to Lee Valley's hardware section and look up Brusso's knife hinges. There's an installation guide there for installing doors on a cabinet, but you can easily interpolate to a lid on a box. There's probably some videos on the web, too, that reference installing knife hinges.

Having used them a few times for boxes and small cabinets, I can tell you it's kind of a pain in the neck. Very careful work.

But, they do work and look great.
No steve, just a pin, metal or wood that goes through the end of the box into the lid
Mark I think you will need to provide a pic of what you are looking at. The words pivot pin style hinge don't show just one type of hinge. Neither do searches for pivot hinge, or other iterations of those words.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
+1 on Tommy's chest. I know Norm did a few with those hinges. The big deal is that you have to round over the edge so it will clear the back edge.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
So it's something like this?

If so, there's more info here.
Phil S. said:

So it's something like this?

If so, there's more info here.

Yes Phil,
That's it, and I have that image, but where I run into trouble is where to place the pin, and how much to round off the back of the lid.
Here is a link to Lee Valley with their version of this hinge pin.

Click on the instr link on the page for a printable set of instructions.

Bill

Lee Valley Hinge Pin
Yes. You will need to do one of two things. Either round over the lid next to the back or put a round grove near the top of the back. THe lid needs room to turn.

I would suggest using brass rod as the hinge. I made one similar for the wife and she broke the dowel rod some how.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.