Router Fence for 3 1/2 Raised panel cutter
My current fence has fixed hole and height that won't allow my new raised panel cutter or combo rail & stile cutter.
(Woodhaven Fence-10 years old)

Your suggestions to modify or do I need a new fence?

Thanks, Roger
You could make an auxiliary fence. You could even make it so you still utilize the dust port
I would just take two pieces of scrap long enough to span the table make a right angle by gluing and mount it using two c clamps. raise the cutter into the fence and it is a zero clearance affair... put the DC mount on the back if it is removable from the OEM fence
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

I would just take two pieces of scrap long enough to span the table make a right angle by gluing and mount it using two c clamps. raise the cutter into the fence and it is a zero clearance affair... put the DC mount on the back if it is removable from the OEM fence

just to add to this, I will take 1/4" mdf ripped down to the width and length of the aux fence. I want to say that I use two layers and clamp one side and start the router while holding the mdf away from the bit. Let it in so the bit cuts through and repeat for the second piece. With both pieces clamped on, only a small portion of the bit protrudes. Run the panels through, pull off a strip, and run them through again, pull off the last strip and run the panels one more time. That way, your not hogging off too much at a time.

This is an older picture of what I am describing

With 2 strips of 1/4 MDF

With 1 strip of 1/4 MDF

I looked at woodhaven and didn't really see any fences. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking. The only thing I have of woodhaven's is their box joint jig which I bought at an auction. I use it for cutting through dovetails on the table saw. Here is a couple of pictures of it and I am wondering if yours looks anything like it.

If you have the metal fence then just saw the opening bigger on the table saw. I wouldn't use my best blade and just take your time and be sure to wear glasses.

The following is not a woodhaven piece. I bought 2 of them at another auction, but it is one of my router fences. I sawed the opening. The opening can be sawn at al angle to fit the raised panel cutter. It is the beauty of the following MDF panels

I like to use 1/2 thick MDF for the front of the fence It cut beautifully for zero clearance fences. If I change bits I jut cut off the used part and start over.

For others just looking here are some pictures of how it is fastened.

I do have to remove the dust collection to adjust the bit height, a flaw in my design.

Here is a picture of one of the feather boards I prefer to use on everything.

The table moved when being machined and was replaced. I got the old one but had to re-machine the slots so they are to wide I had new blocks to fit the slot and epoxied a nail into the screw slot so it can expand in the slot.

And just another look at the set up.

If I were to make another fence I would use a multi track from Rockler. With some of the others you have to buy special tee nuts after the fact as was I case with the one shown.

I have found that 18 inch fences do anything I have asked it to and so you can get two fences out of a 36inch piece.

Tom
I also use a shaper jig to do the ends of the rails. I don't register the stock with the fence but a block clamped on the table . It has a round head screw in it for single point contact.

I hope I have helped someone.

Tom
I am only mildly interested in how that setup as pictured works with a 3 1/2" raised panel knife with a 1"~ opening
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

This is from what is written above.

Quote:

If you have the metal fence then just saw the opening bigger on the table saw. I wouldn't use my best blade and just take your time and be sure to wear glasses.

The following is not a woodhaven piece. I bought 2 of them at another auction, but it is one of my router fences. I sawed the opening. The opening can be sawn at an angle to fit the raised panel cutter. It is the beauty of the following MDF panels

Quote:

but it is one of my router fences. I sawed the opening

The word fences is plural meaning I have more than one and it is not the fence I use for raised panels. Please forgive me for not showing the fence I use for raised panels. He posted he had an older Woodhaven fence and I selected the fence shown because it most likely is like his fence.

I do not know the actual size of the fence opening but my style cuter fits completely in the opening so I know for sure it is larger that one inch. Also since it has an added fence, the opening doesn't have to fit the 3 1/2 cutter in it. The cord of the arc of the cutter comes into play, since the fence is usually flush with the bearing. The leading edge of the MDF fence can be loosened and slid into the running cutter and then re-tightened and one has a zero clearance fence. The nice thing about the MDF fence is it is the exact shape of the cutter. And it can be cut off or replaced when the router bit is changed.

Tom
I said was only mildly interested

did not need a dissertation only attempting to make note the pics did not match the application

This is not the first time with you, and that is why one should read the whole thing and not jump to conclusions based on seeing only what you want to see. If I helped one person great but I will not go down your road.

Tom