Performax 16-32 Plus
See a used one CL. I haven't actually ever used one. Can anyone drop some knowledge on me about what goes bad, or is too expensive to replace if worn out. Any thing else that would help me check this out.
Thanx, RJ
Saratoga, NY
Pre-Jet model.
Saratoga, NY
RJT123 said:

See a used one CL. I haven't actually ever used one. Can anyone drop some knowledge on me about what goes bad, or is too expensive to replace if worn out. Any thing else that would help me check this out.
Thanx, RJ

Belt tracking is the most important thing to check. Let it run for quite awhile. because if it's not tracking properly it may not be evident right away. Have the seller demonstrate how to change the sandpaper... and look under the paper and see if the drum has dust caked on under the paper.

I've used the hell out of mine for several years, and I got it second hand. Nothing worn out yet.
RJ
I had an early one pre jet never had a single moment of trouble with it bought it used
sold it to my cousin he still uses it
I now have the jet model it is almost exactly the same except it has a larger dust port
I would not want to be without mine
remember they will not hog material off they are just sanders
Doing some google I found:
Check that it has the 4" dust port.
Check 1 1/2hp motor ( they made a 1hp at some time)
Check Drum is not deformed or pitted
Check belt tracks
Check that it can be raised/lowered easily

In feed out feed tables are nice to have. Red handled tool for changing belts helps but not mandatory.
Saratoga, NY
RJT123 said:

Doing some google I found:
Check that it has the 4" dust port.
Check 1 1/2hp motor ( they made a 1hp at some time)
Check Drum is not deformed or pitted
Check belt tracks
Check that it can be raised/lowered easily

In feed out feed tables are nice to have. Red handled tool for changing belts helps but not mandatory.

Mine has the smaller dust port and it's never been an issue.
Mine is marked Performax, but manual is Jet (bought maybe 2000 +/-), when Jet took over Performax. Never a lick of trouble, tracking is easy, especially is you get the ceramic belt guides. Putting paper on is easy, again, if you get the drum tool.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I bought the one you are talking about used last June. It has the 2 1/2" dust port. The tracking belt was worn on one side so I replaced it ($39.00).Changing belts was a real pain, so I converted it to hook and loop with a kit Grizzly sells. Once the tracking was adjusted the machine runs beautifully and is a pleasure to use. As Oaky said above, remember it does not hog off wood. Take light cuts through multiple passes and you should be very happy with it. Good luck.
The sander isn't designed to replace a planer, but is handy for milling thin stock that a planer can't handel. It also works well on figured stock that a straight knife planer tears out.

It doesn't replace hand or orbital sanding, due to the straight scratch marks that it leaves.

The conveyor belt is easily replacable, if worn.

Make sure that the clips hold the paper securely. This would be my major concern when looking at used.

Take a piece of freshly planed 12" wide x 18" long fwood (not sappy pine) with you, along with a dial caliper to test out the sander. Measure the thickness on each side before sanding. Run it througth 2 or 3 times with the same orientation and remeasure to see if equall. If out of alignment, it can be adjusted, but could help factor in a lower negotiated price.

2.5" dust port is a non factor, as long as you have decent suction. The dust is very fine, and will clog dust collector bags very quickly. A pre-seperator thein baffle or cyclone will help.

It may not matter, but the older performax had a Lesson USA made motor. I would assume the jet version has an Asian made motor. I would consider this a greater benefit than the 4" port found on the jet version.

The new jet version with smart sand technology which could be an advantage over the performax, but I wouldn't know. Someone who has used both could better explain.
You will wonder how you did without it.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson