Longest project
Seeing iteneyeck's nice two year project posting I thought it might be interesting to suggesta thread for those seemingly never ending builds that I think many of us have .

Mine is this chair,

the first of a set of four for my daughter to accompany a small dining table I made for her. Four years from first design doodlings to completion. I steam bent and laminated the components for all four at the outset and am making the other three as a batch which I hope to finish in the next year. All will be slightly different with two having having four slats in the back instead of three and two mirrow images of the others.

My wife says she wishes I had never taken on something of this magnitude (I sometimes feel the same) but announced yesterday that she wants me to make her an arm chair in a similarly organic style. My worry is that I might die first!

Jim
No matter how long that took, it is a very nice chair.
Ag
That is quite the interesting chair. Is it sturdy, and mostly is it comfy?

I don't understand the time thing? Doesn't everyone finish every project, no matter how complex, in just 1 day
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
That's more than a mere chair. That's a piece of art. Outstanding!

John
Regardless of how long it took you completed the job and it is magnificent. Good on you!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I hope you submit this to Fine Woodworking. Defiantly worth of publishing!
Don
Certainly a cool design, and well executed! Nicely done! I think Steve N mentioned it being done in a day...heck, Scott Phillips could do it a 1/2 hour (but it would have pocket screws in it). I digress...well done. Just the design shows your artistic talent.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Yes, it is sturdy, I spent a long time working out the engineering of it. The seat rail joints have big 50 mm wide loose tenons in them and there are two large Dominos in each of what I call the knee joints which also have the 1/2"thick walnut veneered ply splines glued and pegged into 3/4" deep grooves in each leg. The seat and crest rail joints and the knee joint Dominos are also pegged with 5 mm ash dowels.

For me, a chair that isn't comfortable is a failure, so I also did a lot of measuring of chairs and people to get the angles and lumbar support right and I'm pleased to say it has worked out comfy. I had the padding and leather upholstery done prefessionally by a local guy and he has done a superb job.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the making.

Jim
Don't have photos of it, but I just shipped an apothecary chest to my wife's best friend. She had sent me a catalog clipping about 10 years ago. I had designed it and cut stock for the 15 drawers, but had gone no further until this year.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I am embarrassed to say I am entering year two on a simple chest of drawers and night stand. My current excuse to myself is that the weather is just too nice to be working indoors. So, I guess I'm blaming global warming.

As for to chair that started this thread, I'm not sure all the time in the world would be enough for me. That is a real beauty!
--
See ya later,
Bill