Is Grizzly dropping their straight knife jointers?
As I'm in the market for a working jointer, I visit the Grizzly page every couple of weeks to looks for deals. It appears that they have removed all of their non-spiral head jointers from the page. When I specifically search for the regular models the banner says "Please note that this item is discontinued and no longer available for sale." with the item on sale. Does anyone know if they are just changing up the product line or are they done with straight knife jointers for good? Would this also carry over to the shopfox line?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Joint...Beds/G0490

[url=http://www.grizzly.com/search/?q=%28category%3a"Jointers"%29]http://www.grizzly.com/search/?q=%28category%3a"Jointers"%29[/url]
Don't have an answer for you, but I had the 8" straight knife version and about 4 years ago changed the head to spiral head and never looked back, love it.
Bob
Last Winter I bought a Griz GO490X and it is a spiral, 8", parallelogram, and it's absent too. Looks like a going out of........... Or a huge product line change?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Interesting I just bought the G0490X in November,kind of curios what the new design will be. The fence could use some improvement in adjusting. It's hard to keep to keep it square to the table.
Hopefully they're just making some changes and will bring back the straight knife design. The spiral cutterheads are nice, but drastically increase the initial cost. Their entry floor model jointer was $450ish, now it's $850.
Destinmatt said:

Hopefully they're just making some changes and will bring back the straight knife design. The spiral cutterheads are nice, but drastically increase the initial cost. Their entry floor model jointer was $450ish, now it's $850.

All that is true, but if their sales experience is that they sell 3 of the straight knife to every 97 of the spiral, you may not have that choice.

I had been looking at the 15" planer with spiral in the white finish, that is gone too, just the green and more expensive version.

A business oriented friend and I once had a discussion about Griz. He couldn't figure how they could make much money with all the choices they had. He felt cutting 3/4 of the choices would increase their profits by a huge margin. Maybe he, or someone like him got a hold of Papa? Dad always said, time will tell.......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Destinmatt said:

I have a double regret. I purchased the G0490. Buying and installing the spiral head costs more time and money than having Grizzly do it int he first place. First mistake, I should have purchased the G0490X. Second mistake, I joint and plane a lot eastern white pine, which tends to make long stringy shavings which tends to clog up the DC works (the jointer, the pipe, the separator, and the DC itself). I have heard the spiral cutter head reduces the length of the shavings.

I love my G0490 and would have only loved the G0490X more.
Yikes! Even the 20" spiral head planer is discontinued
In my not so popular opinion this is a case of the marketing dept and the manufacturer winning and the consumer losing

All you who have them can love them but you have been assimilated

Losing the option is just another nail in the coffin

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The standard G0453 with straight knives is discontinued also!!!!!