Stacking Freud Box Joint Sets
Due to a mix-up with my Amazon wish list, I wound up with two Freud Box Joint Sets for Christmas. I can send one back, but is there any reason I couldn’t stack the two together to make box joints larger than the maximum 3/8" that one set allows?
Hank Gillette
Hmmm, I have been using that set extensively of late... I do not think the teeth will interlock properly if two sets are stacked together, but I might be wrong.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
handi said:

Hmmm, I have been using that set extensively of late... I do not think the teeth will interlock properly if two sets are stacked together, but I might be wrong.

Ralph

I'm positive they will not. A friend and I both got ours together to investigate just this possibility. FAIL!!!!!!
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

[blockquote]handi said:

Ralph

I'm positive they will not. A friend and I both got ours together to investigate just this possibility. FAIL!!!!!!

[/blockquote]

What was the problem?
Hank Gillette
Designed to mate but not stack. If you can imagine a free spinning dado blade you got it. They mate because the tooth set overlaps, however once filled the best you can do is just neighbor up the next blade from either side, and they slipped. We didn't run it because you could freewheel the added blade when loose, or if tight it started to bend the saw plate. Maybe I just don't have big enough nads, but neither of us felt it looked good enough to add power to it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Designed to mate but not stack. If you can imagine a free spinning dado blade you got it. They mate because the tooth set overlaps, however once filled the best you can do is just neighbor up the next blade from either side, and they slipped. We didn't run it because you could freewheel the added blade when loose, or if tight it started to bend the saw plate. Maybe I just don't have big enough nads, but neither of us felt it looked good enough to add power to it.

I hear you. It would take a lot of courage to try it, considering how expensive the blades are.
Hank Gillette