Fine Woodworking Garden Chair
I was wondering if anyone has built the Garden Chair from Fine Woodworking (Michael Fortune)?

I am in the middle of building one (have the magazine article and the full scale drawings) but can't figure out how long the temporary back stretcher should be.
I measure 15-9/32" front and 14-21/32" back at the level where the back legs get cut off flush. Hopefully you can work it out from there. I don't really think it is incredibly critical. You'll want to cut the notches in the rear stretcher after measuring the space between the back uprights. See here for reference.
I had the same question. I emailed Micheal and this was his response.

'The length comes from the 5 degree angle of the back legs that are attached to the front stretcher. The space between is tapered. The spacer can be clamped or even screwed in place on the underside wherever it is convenient to hold the legs. I put it on the floor on the bottom of the back legs. I'm reluctant to give you a number in case your 5 degree angle cuts are different than mine, measuring your chair is probably best'

In the end it turned out not to be that important in that it wil be different for each chair depending on the accuracy of the joinery.

Pics when it's done!
Bob
Where is your reference photo coming from? The full size plans?
dog2bert said:

Where is your reference photo coming from? The full size plans?

Yes. Actually from the model used to make the full sized plans. Those dimensions aren't called out on the plan because they should be worked out during assembly.

As Bob mentioned, the angle you cut on the ends of the front stretcher and the legs themselves will determine the exact distance.
A tip on these types of "measurements": I can figure them out in my various CAD programs when I am designing a project, but usually, as the author pointed out above, this can change with very small tolerance changes in the design.

Whenever possible, I prefer to clamp parts in place, then mark them for cutting. This will accurately reflect what the parts actually need to be rather than what we think they should be.

Obviously, this is not for parts that control primary dimensions like legs and sides, but rather secondary parts such as stretchers. This is also usually far more accurate than trying to get a measurement with a tape.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Do this, then measure. Also, put the slats in place to determine the exact size of the notches. I built two chairs and both were slightly different (in many aspects)!

Frank
I am building another chair and this thread came in handy again.