Redwood mantle
This is a live edge redwood slab mantle that I made for some friends that just got married and bought their first house together. He had a redwood and copper wall art piece that his father made a long time ago that they wanted to hang above it so that's why we left the live edge. They just need to caulk the gaps now and paint up to the wood. The brick was really uneven so I did the best I could getting it as close as I could.

It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Very nice job, the fit looks fine.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Fit to brick is always not fun.
That looks like a pretty good fit.
Go to your tile shop and ask if they have sanded caulking. You can get it in paintable or there are colors to choose from.
It is regular latex caulk made to look like grout.

Nice Mantel.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Thanks for the comments and I'll pass the grout idea along to them. They wanted to do that part.

Jeff
How did you mount/secure the supports to the wall? I'm about to engage in a similiar project for my daughter.
Goodness Jeff that looks like it fits perfectly. Good job.

Where you live has two of my most favorite woods and number one is Big Leaf Maple Curly or Burl and second is Redwood Lace burl. I think they are the most pretty woods America has for turning.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
What's to caulk? That looks great. I hate scribing things that large.

Very nice.

John
You did a terrific job of fitting that beautiful piece. Brick and stone are definitely a challenge. I wouldn't caulk it at all. Whatever you use will eventually crack or separate.
Sawdustd said:

How did you mount/secure the supports to the wall? I'm about to engage in a similiar project for my daughter.

I used 6" L brackets that were attached with Tapcon screws to the brick and then set the mantle on top of them and screwed the mantle to the bracket. I then epoxied the supports to the brick and the bottom of the mantle. The supports had dados cut in them so they would sit flush to the mantle and brick. The brackets are very solid so the brackets are more for looks than support.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Jeff
The gaps aren't that big so I doubt they do anything with them. I think that's me just being too anal.

Arlin, I agree about us having some pretty good wood to turn around here. I love turning the big leaf maple and working for North Woods has me a little spoiled because I now have easy access to some great figured wood.

Jeff