What kind of chuck are these guys using?
I've seen a lot of Japanese turners using this type of chuck, but I have no idea what it is or where to find one. Any ideas? Whether you know or not, these are really cool videos. The third one shows him mounting the wood.

Kokeshi doll #1

Kokeshi doll #2

Kokeshi doll #3
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
The 0.53 second mark in the third video shows the "chuck" really well. :-)
I have not seen it but it might be a pin chuck.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Watching him drive the wood on and still have it not fully centered tells me it's a tapered (friction) mandrel.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
When he takes the piece off there's just a ring in the wood. It's almost like it's a circular blade. I've never seen anything like it. Been searching all the tool shops out of curiosity, of course.
Try a Steb center.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Look at 4:10 in the 1st video. Looks like a screw chuck on the end of a taper.If you look close you will see him unscrew it off the chuck. I want one.
At about 40 seconds this gent appears to be using a plane blade without a tool rest:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_R29z6UvL0
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
It appears he's using similar to how a person would use a card scraper, I can see how that would work. He's also got his arms braced against the tool rest while he's using it.
Steve K

Yea, you should YouTube Japanese turning. They do it really differently than we do. Cool stuff.