Two Years Later
A couple of years ago I made a bunch of planters out of white oak. As a hopeful experiment I sealed the interiors with FlexSeal. I didn't get around to changing the soil last year, so the second photo is what they look like after being filled with soil for 2 years.

I put the bottom boards a little too close in one of them causing it to not drain properly. The results are shown on the left.

See ya later,
Bill
Wow! That is a well-designed and beautiful set-up you made!
I'm not sure I completely follow...are you saying that after two years of being wet the wood is looking like new?

Also, what finish did you put on those planters? They look like they were made yesterday! I assume they get at least some sun exposure?
AUswimKC said:

I'm not sure I completely follow...are you saying that after two years of being wet the wood is looking like new?

Also, what finish did you put on those planters? They look like they were made yesterday! I assume they get at least some sun exposure?

The first picture is a year old. When I built these and said I was going to use FlexSeal on the interiors, a few people asked that I report back with the results of the FlexSeal. The first picture was just a reminder of what we were talking about.
See ya later,
Bill
I'd say that worked pretty well. How many cans did you use for those planters?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

I'd say that worked pretty well. How many cans did you use for those planters?

I'd guess 3 cans for both. These are only 2 of a bunch of different planters. These were the largest. In total I used a dozen cans.

--
See ya later,
Bill
That's very good to know! I have some wooden planters I nailed together a few years ago, and they're about rotted out now. (I knew they would.) Might have to pick up a few cans when I replace them.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
You say you sealed the inside: is the FlexSeal the black lining to the box? What finish did you use on the outside? It seems to have held up well too.
awesome!
coulda swore i saw a commercial for flexseal in the last couple days and it was available in quart cans now.
Alan S said:

You say you sealed the inside: is the FlexSeal the black lining to the box? What finish did you use on the outside? It seems to have held up well too.

The FlexSeal is the black lining. The exterior finish is Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. But, the first picture was after 1 year. This coming spring it will get a touch up after sitting out for another winter.
See ya later,
Bill