honey oak cabinets to espresso finish
My house came with honey oak finished cabinets. It looks old-fashioned but it is in good condition. The layout is OK.

I would like to change the color to espresso (dark, dark brown).

The online suggestions call for cleaning (TSP), light sanding and gel stain (several coats) plus a clear coat.

I was wondering if this is the best solution.

Could I clean the cabinets, then lightly scuff and apply SealCoat (for adhesion) and then use Espresso Polyshades? It sounds easier.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Polyshades is very difficult to apply evenly.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Are you suggesting that the gel stain option is better?
Stay away from polyshades.
No polyshades.
Do not use polyshades.

A search of my username will get you a couple of posts (at least) where I explain glazes and glazing technique.
The good news is, you can remove the doors and drawers; do them in the workshop. All you have to do on site are the face frames and the FE's. Spray. Rattle can if you must.
I would not use TSP to clean them although I know people do it. I've never had any problems just using mineral spirits followed by warm water with a little dish soap or Murphy's Oil Soap. They won't hurt any finish; TSP can and often does. Applying a coat of Sealcoat is a good strategy. It will seal in any oils you didn't get off and provide a base for what goes on top. Gel stain is easy to apply and wipe off; I would prefer that approach over Polyshades. Topcoat with the product of choice, as long as it's not GF's Gel Topcoat. That stuff is not durable enough for kitchen cabinets.

John
Any recommendations on gel stains? I am going to brush on the finish. Will that remove any of the gel stain? I prefer oil based poly. Is that going to be an issue with the gel stain?

I will test the finish on the interior of one of the over the refrigerator doors. They almost never get used and if I screw up the interior there it will not be an issue.
I've had bad luck with the waterborne gel stains and good luck with the GF oil based, particularly the Java . I'd topcoat with GF EnduroVar as it has a very high chemical resistance. But do test.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
My daughter and SIL used a product like this to refinish their cabinets.

link

I don't know if this is the exact product or not, but I'm pretty sure it was Rust-Oleum. They went from a medium brown to black. Neither one of them had ever done anything like this before but their cabinets turned out pretty nice.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill Wilson said:

My daughter and SIL used a product like this to refinish their cabinets.

link

I don't know if this is the exact product or not, but I'm pretty sure it was Rust-Oleum. They went from a medium brown to black. Neither one of them had ever done anything like this before but their cabinets turned out pretty nice.

I looked into this.

Consumers' Reports reviewed this kit and said you are better served with a good quality paint.

And my past tries with deglossing agents were not too good. I did better with light sanding. They both provided good adhesion but the sanding left a nicer finish.
General Finishes Oil Based Gel Stains are very nice to work with. As long as you let it dry completely you can topcoat with whatever you want, including oil based poly applied by brush.

John