You guys remember the three saws at bad axe for vets
Well I got the 4th one and here it is

The handle is Hickory and it is filed 14 ppi and custom made for my hand which was 4.25" wide.

They asked what type of saw I wanted and I told them I needed an all around saw to do multi tasks for multi hands besides mine. So this is what they come up with called a Hybrid saw or a cross between a Dovetail and Tenon saw.

I know what a dovetail saw does but not what the purpose of the Tenon saw is?

Thank you to my benefactor who paid for the saw/s and to Bad Axe for getting in contact with me. The individual is not my SS but saw the need and I graciously accepted

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
WooHoo! Congrats, Arlin! And a big HooRah for your benefactor!
Beautiful saw, great friends. My understanding is a tenon saw is filed primarily for cross grain cutting, dovetail for ripping with the grain.
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
Kind of makes me think it is their version of a sash saw which is a very handy saw to have.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
johnnysuede said:

My understanding is a tenon saw is filed primarily for cross grain cutting, dovetail for ripping with the grain.

While a rip saw can crosscut, it leaves a less clean edge, and a crosscut saw rips very slowly. My understanding is that the Bad Axe hybrid is a very nice compromise, filed close to rip but with just a little fleam to make it crosscut cleanly.

And if you ever decide you want both rip and crosscut, you can buy one type from him and he will refile this one to the other type for free.

It's a beautiful saw.
Sweet looking saw. Especially like the hickory handle. It should last forever. Someone has shown the true Christmas spirit.

Eric.
Arlin: you are SOooo lucky.
To Arlin's Benefactor: Thank you so much for your generosity.
I suppose that tenon saws could be filed cross-cut, but I normally think of them filed rip for cutting tenon cheeks. Compared to a dovetail saw, the saw plate is taller to allow for a deeper cut and the teeth are at a coarser pitch for the wider cut. But there are lots of permutations. Looks like a nice saw.

Matt

johnnysuede said:

Beautiful saw, great friends. My understanding is a tenon saw is filed primarily for cross grain cutting, dovetail for ripping with the grain.

There are lot of guys and gals like that here.

I do things all the time for guys here for free just trying to pay back how many help me. However, someone is always sending wood (Which we need) or hand tools, or pen kits which I donate to everyone who wishes to learn turning that I can not keep up with repaying the good deeds here.

Packerguy just sent a big box of 8/4 and 4/4 and some Snake wood and Amboyna burl to turn with and Dave sent me a box of 8/4 Mahogany and Red Oak. That Mahogany is some really nice stuff too.

So what I am saying is there are so many good people here that do not want to be known too.

O I also forgot the gentleman who has sent me 40 books and about 100 magazines for all of us to read and TroutVictor sent a lot of nice DVDs which are like Gold to us.

So Thank you to everyone out there. I would say a hundred more names but most want to remain behind the scene of being noticed.

Arlin

Opps I forgot one more and he made me a Ring out of a .50 cent piece and it fits perfectly.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Super saw! This forum has some of the most generous fellows out there! Hope it serves you and your pupils well, Arlin!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill