Sometimes The Answer Ought To Be No
When she asks you whether you could hollow out the stump with the three branches sticking out of it, I should have said, No Honey it's too much work. But I didn't!

A little background is in order. LOML does fused and slumped glass forms in a kiln. The 3 branches on stump will need to be hollowed out to a depth of 6" to accept 3 slumped glass forms she will create. The branches are 10", 7", and 5". I started with the 7" branch and used a 4 1/2" hole saw to do the initial cut and then drilled and chiseled out the area inside the cut. This took several hours of grunt labor.

Since this sort of half-assed worked I bought a 6" hole saw to tackle the 10" branch. Either I'm not big enough to hold onto the hammer drill with the 6" hole saw attached or it's not the right tool for the job. After getting thrown all over the shop for about 45 minutes I went with plan B.

Plan B is to use a 2" forstner bit to drill out the majority of the wood. After 4 hours of drill, pigsticker, and mallet work I've got it down to 3 1/2" deep.

My shoulder hurts like hell, I've got 4 different drills out, and I'm only half done.

Sometimes the answer should just be , No Honey, I can't do that...
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
The right answer is " sure I can do that. I will need to buy a new tool- or three"

Split them, gouge them out, glue them back together.
Chainsaw mortiser.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me

Self feeding spade or auger bit is what I would try. The Bosch Daredevil bits are nice.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
A 6" hole saw in a hammer drill is a frightening thought. You want that size hole saw running smooth - not being hammered.

Do you have a drill press that you could arrange a jig to hold the log with the branches vertical (one at a time)?

A radial-arm drill press or a Shopsmith seem like the proper tool for this.

You might also consider drilling a ring of holes with the
Colt 1" or the Colt 10"x7/16" drill bit.

If you buy from Hartville, don't forget the Woodnet discount (WN15).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
No suggestions from me as to the correct tool, I think your last statement would have been the way to go.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You are missing out a a great chance to buy some new tools!
http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woodwor...er-chisel/
http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woodwor...i-grinder/
http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woodwor...urboshaft/

Could be a new path to lots of creative projects in the future.
Myles
-----------------------
mouse jockey
Never being one to pass up an opportunity to buy a new took, I ordered the Arbortech Turbo shaft and contour sander. I already own the King Arthur version of the mini-grinder, which works fine until the depth of the hole gets too deep.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
That does look like a cool accessory. You'll have to post your review after you had a chance to try it out.