Looking for SLAV
I tried the Search feature..... nothing... crickets... didn't work..... Hrumph!
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Last appearance seems to be in the Carl Bilderback RIP thread. HTH
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
I sent him a PM a month ago and one for Christmas and have not heard from him.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks guys..... was wondering if he still sells saw files.
Catchalater,
Marv

― Maya Angelou

Slav is pretty shot on saw files; at least the last time I went through his stuff at Handworks. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Files are getting very scarce even from the usual sources. I just pitched a file (Grobet) I bought from (blank). It looked like a three-sided banana and the corners fractured almost right away.
Was that a Made in India file or a Made in Italy file?
BontzSawWorks.net
RonB1957 said:

Was that a Made in India file or a Made in Italy file?

I have some India made ones I bought a few years ago, they are ok, but don't last as long as vintage USA files, also quality can vary from file to file, some better than others, even in the same box.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It's just a guess on my part, but I think file makers aren't making them for reshaping old saws with rotten teeth. That kind of filing, especially when reshaping crosscut teeth. Filing straight across on teeth with a fleam angle is really rough on any file.

Sharpening a saw that is just dull, files in general, will not chip as readily. We might be expecting too much from files. I have experienced the chipping of even the NOS files when reshaping.
Catchalater,
Marv

― Maya Angelou

Those are interesting comments.

Marv, I have been looking for the e-mail address for the club that Slav attends: CATS. That is where he got to know Carl "I like shiny" Bilderback. They could give you more info on his whereabouts.
I just finished sharpening a 28" #7, 8pt, and used up 2 full sides, and about half of the useful life of the last side, of an Indian Grobet. That's two shaping passes and two sharpening passes, the last one a light sharpening pass. Don't know if I can ask more of a file, and the India ones are a bit cheaper. I'm thinking of trying a box of the Bahco files.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis