Basket weave bowl video
To anyone who may be interested, I've some videos on how to do the basket weave pattern to embellish a bowl. From drawing it to doing the woodburning. Three videos in all and they are on a playlist HERE . I appreciate any and all feedback, either here or on youtube.
Steve K

WOW factor of about 7 trillion Steve. I'm just starting with burning after watching Cynthia Gibson a couple months ago at our chapter meeting. Thanks for sharing.......Priceless!
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
Steve

I will watch them later, but I know for one that you do a great job on doing that. I really hope to get one for us someday.

What kind of burner would your recommend and pen tips?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's really nice. Question for the group? Can one achieve a similarly iattractive outcome by performing the same pattern with carving tools? Or would it be too subtle without the stark contrast of burned wood against untouched wood?
Arlin Eastman said:

Steve

I will watch them later, but I know for one that you do a great job on doing that. I really hope to get one for us someday.

What kind of burner would your recommend and pen tips?

Arlin

Arlin, the best pens I have found are the Optoma pens. Knowing how good their pens are I would definitely consider their machine as well.
Steve K

Very nice Steve. Thanks for sharing in detail. Lots of useful information packed in there.

Doug
Steve

I watched the first two this morning at 3am and I think you make it look easier then it is.

Also I do not know why but I thought all of it was free handed and not penciled in first.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

I think it would be very possible and I would LOVE to see how you do it and when it is done. I think it would also be very unique with the many ways you could do it also.

Arlin

Arlin Eastman said:

Steve

I watched the first two this morning at 3am and I think you make it look easier then it is.

Also I do not know why but I thought all of it was free handed and not penciled in first.

Arlin

Hey Arlin, not sure why that still wouldn't make it freehand? The penciling is done free hand and it's seldom the burning knife exactly follows the pencil line, at least when I do it anyway.
Steve K

SCMedLion said:

That's really nice. Question for the group? Can one achieve a similarly iattractive outcome by performing the same pattern with carving tools? Or would it be too subtle without the stark contrast of burned wood against untouched wood?

I took that bowl to our Dec. club meeting and one of the carvers suggested that to me, actually, to combine the two techniques. I have never done any carving so at this point I'm not going to pursue it. Then again, up until a few months ago I had never done any pyrography either.
Steve K