I've Seen The Light - For Less !
Someone commented in my prior post that they had bought 4' LED shop lights are Sam's Club so today I stopped in to my local one. Yessiree, there they were, the exact same one made by Lights of America that I bought at Rockler. I paid $50 at Rockler. They were $35 at Sam's Club.

I just had to buy 3 more. At $35 it makes no sense in my mind to fool around with bulbs that require you to rewire the old fluorescent fixtures. Besides the LED light strips, the body of these lights is made from extruded aluminum which makes them pretty rigid, and they will never rust. Anyway, I have two in my spray booth now and surprise, surprise, I can see.

John
If I already have fixtures, do I need to change anything to use these? Also, I don't see specs on the bulbs in the shop light that I assume you were referencing, as listed here.
SCMedLion said:

If I already have fixtures, do I need to change anything to use these? Also, I don't see specs on the bulbs in the shop light that I assume you were referencing, as listed here.

No change if you use those bulbs however home depot has them for $10 each now.
They have come down in price tremendously and have gone way up in quality. 3 years ago they were being made by phillips and others for up to $200 each and they put out less light per watt than the fluorescents.

Those at sams and costco both are good for the $. I'm thinking of making my own using strip light for a few areas similar to how I did the kitchen cab lights.
I think you can use those bulbs with your existing fluorescent fixtures as long as they have electronic ballasts. I bought bulbs similar to those at HD a couple of months ago and they would not work with my older ballast fixtures. The lights I bought look close to what's shown in your second link. They do not have bulbs; there are two LED's strips. I'm not sure, but I suspect they are not replaceable, meaning when they burn out you throw it out.

John
Good point they will not work with the old magnetic ballasts but I haven't seen one of those in many years. They seem to have all died off years ago here as they can't take the heat. Lots of places also got rid of them early for insurance reasons cause they had a habit of puking their PCBs and catching on fire.

If you don't have t8 bulbs or an electronic or quick start ballast the best solution is the direct wire ones. With these you eliminate the ballast and wire the tombstones directly with 110v.
Unfortunately depot doesn't carry these in store yet but they can be had online for $10 each. There are also 8' versions available but they are rare and pricey after shipping. I might do the 4' conversion to my 8' fixtures instead.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/171472/PLT-10195.html
jteneyck said:

Someone commented in my prior post that they had bought 4' LED shop lights are Sam's Club so today I stopped in to my local one. Yessiree, there they were, the exact same one made by Lights of America that I bought at Rockler. I paid $50 at Rockler. They were $35 at Sam's Club.

I just had to buy 3 more. At $35 it makes no sense in my mind to fool around with bulbs that require you to rewire the old fluorescent fixtures. Besides the LED light strips, the body of these lights is made from extruded aluminum which makes them pretty rigid, and they will never rust. Anyway, I have two in my spray booth now and surprise, surprise, I can see.

John

Your welcome!
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
AlanBienlein said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

John

Your welcome!

[/blockquote]

Thanks again. I can't believe how much better I can see. And since the color is 5000K (daylight) I think color matching is going be a lot easier.

I looked at the units again and now see that they do indeed have a bulb, or at least what might be a bulb. The LED elements are housed in a half round plastic "bulb". Whether or not that is replaceable, I don't know. But if they cost $35 now, they will probably be $10 by the time these burn out.

John