Routing a rabbet
I'm making some shelves which will be glass enclosed in a wood frame. When cutting the rabbet into the first frame member I decided to use a 1/4 inch straight bit. Unfortunately, I got lots of tear-out, so I stopped immediately, and used my table-saw instead. I wonder why I got the tear-out? Is a straight bit the wrong bit to use in that application? (I know there are rabbetting router bits, but I though the choice between a straight bit and a rabbetting bit would little difference.) Thanks for your thoughts
Tear out is pretty common for me when I route left to right using the router handheld. The bit cutting into the wood and tear out happens easily, especially if you are taking a pretty big bite. So I usually use a climb cut (right to left) when using the router hand held (but never on the router table). I make as many passes as required until the rabbet is at full depth, and then I make one last pass left to right. No tear out.

Also, I almost always use a 3/4" bit, or a dedicated rabbeting bit which is even larger. It's just a lot more efficient and runs cooler than a little 1/4" bit. The angle of attack is much shallower, too, so it cuts more cleanly.

John
the bit had some bearing on the issue.

the direction of the cut (left to right which is correct) may well have been against the grain.

It pays to look closely to the way the grain runs before milling stock

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe is right. On a router table it is all about grain direction and sharp bits. Take a look at the board with the tear out and see if the router bit would have been lifting the grain when you were cutting. i would bet that was the issue.
Thanks for your insights and recommendations. I realize now that I was taking too much off in one pass, and that I was working against the grain. It had been a while since I last used my router......so the lesson is "never forget the basics".