craftsman router bearings
Anyone out there ever change bearings on a modern Craftsman router model #320.17541? To me it looks like a sealed unit but there are bearings listed on the parts list. That gives me the impression that it can be done. Any good ideas on testing them other than spinning the shaft and listening and feeling for friction?

Can anyone give me an idea how long the bearings should last anyways? I don't feel like they should need replacement. The tool is about 6 years old and has only seen moderate use, mostly in a router table. What's leading me to think the bearings are bad is how the thing screams and vibrates in the router table. I took it out of the router lift and tried it in the regular base and its been so long since I've used it that way I just cant tell if the vibration is more than it should be. What I can say is that its not screaming like it does in the table. It may be that the lift is the culprit but I have taken it out and adjusted it before only to get the same result.

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
That router is a single-speed and not very powerful at that. I think you would be better off junking it and getting a variable-speed router that has more power and would be more versatile by being able to handle bits of greater diameters by reducing the rpms. (Does your router have only a 1/4" collet? If so, that would be a good excuse for you to get one with a 1/2".)

There are a lot of good routers. You can check past threads for ideas. To fix the one you have now might be more trouble--and expense--than it is worth.
most likely the router is packed full of sawdust. being in a router table and all...... I would not be going out on a limb in saying they may well be ready for replacement given the description of your issue

Those are actually not bad routers (even though they are made by Ryobi)

so, every router has to have two bearings (one on top one at the base, both on the armature) to function at the speeds they do .I have yet to find one that could not be repaired the hard part is trying to determine how to take it apart

so the issue really comes down to can you take it apart?

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

My PC is twenty years old, so they can last a long time. The bearings are probably pressed on. Any machine shop can take the old ones off quickly. I wouiox replace the bearings. I don't like buying new if I can repair a tool. I have a few routers so one breaking doesn't stop me.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
My experience with Craftsman routers is that the bearings are not as large in diameter as some of the upscale routers. The smaller bearings wear faster being subjected to the side thrust loads they have to bear. That said I have replaced the bearings in these routers, but these routers are not the ones I depend on to get the job done.

Frank S in IA
While I'm still a little suspect of the bearings, the router is working acceptably for the moment. The JessEm lift I've got has a couple mounting options for this particular router and I just tried the other configuration. I swear I've tried this before but for now it seems ok. We'll see if it's still working good after I make 40 ft of window stop trim for the new windows I put in over the holiday break.

If it is back to its old tricks I'll be hitting up professore for some tips on getting the bearings changed.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/