Videos from German TV
I don't speak German but Google's translator tells me this TV program is called THE LAST OF HIS CLASS. Cameras follow craftsmen performing their work the old-fashioned way. I just watched a horse-and-buggy era whip being made and had no idea how complicated they were. To see this episode, look for the picture of the man with a cigarette in his mouth. Episodes are available at this web site:

German web site

I wish it offered English subtitles because I feel I missed a lot of good info.

Mike
Oh thanks very much for posting that. I didn't watch any of them at the moment, but I will when I get a chance. There are quite a few shows like these on German TV and most of them are fascinating to watch. I saw one about the last guy making the little hair tassels on traditional Bavarian hats a couple of years ago when I was over there, and one about a guy making violins. That one especially was amazing. Anyway, thanks again. Much appreciated.

John
I sure wish we had more programs like this here.

Mike
Mike if you go there with Google Chrome, and right click anywhere on the page it will have a line asking if you want to translate to English, and it worked fine. I tried Firefox, NADA, On Internut Exploder it said translate to English with Bing, but when I tried it said it couldn't perform that function on this page. So if you have Chrome, you can see the page in English, videos still obviously will play in German.

But it's not a perfect translation, still it often leaves their function in German, but it would just be one word for a German to English translator box.

HTH
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Hello America,

some of this vids are in bawarian or austrian dialekt and hart to understand for me. And I live here now for 62 years
All of this ara realy good
you can find on youtube also here web page

have fun and have a Happy New Year
Gerhard from Wiesbaden
Thanks Steve, I'll give that a try.

Mike
Thanks for the YouTube link Gerhard.

Mike
Hallo Gerhard,

My wife is Bavarian and I spent many vacations with her parents in der Oberpfalz, which has an even more difficult dialekt compared to many parts of Bavaria. Near her home town there is a Shreiner (carpenter/cabinet maker) so I went to see him one day. His dialect was so strong that I could hardly understand a word but he took some time to show me his shop and what he was making. I spent a very pleasant 3 or 4 hours with him even though neither understood much of what the other was saying. Woodworkers can get along w/o having to use many words and I think most people will enjoy the videos even if they can't understand the dialogue.

All the best for a good 2016.

John
Thanks for the link.

I know only a very little German but the videos are interresting anyway.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English