Espresso (Java) or black finish
I am going to refinish my kitchen cabinets. I will be ordering General Finish's "milk paint" for this along with a top coat.

I have a question about color. My initial idea was to make the cabinets in espresso (dark brown). But when I look at the catalogs from Pottery Barn they are not really showing espresso anymore, but seem to be favoring black.

Restoration Hardware is showing espresso.

I am refinishing the honey oak cabinets because they look 1980s to me.

I don't want to do a finish that will look dated in a few years. I would do white as I think it is timeless, but for the base cabinets at least, my Chesapeake Bay Retriever will brush against them and they will look like crap in no time at all. All the white doorway trim in the house has marks about where his shoulder is and I guess he brushes against the walls as he walks by.

So the question is: Black or Espresso?

And the second question is: The clear coat, should it be satin, semi-gloss or gloss? (The butcher block counter is in gloss.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Po-ta-to, po-tot-o. Espresso, black. Whatever you like best. Black would be more timeless, but really, most kitchens get gutted every 20 - 30 years so you aren't making a once in a lifetime decision. Pick whichever you like best.

You didn't say anything about the topcoat, but you might want to consider GF's Enduro Clear Poly. It works great over their milk paint and is dead clear and will stay that way, so it won't get a yellow hue down the road. Personally, I would go with flat or satin sheen, probably satin considering the dog.

John
There are several choices in black or nearly so finishes but you must decide. After all it's your cabinets. Personally I'd go for semi gloss or gloss. I'd also give serious consideration to: Driftwood, Queenstown Gray, Coastal Blue as well as Lamp Black or Dark Chocolate. It's available in pints so you might want to run up some test pieces to see what you like. (This assumes that you have a good local source, online is prohibitive as it's a hazamt.) Yes this testing is a pain but you will likely live with the result for years. As for topcoat they recommend High Performance Topcoat for high wear areas. It's similar to Enduro Clear Poly. See What is the difference between professional Enduro Clear Poly and High Performance Topcoat?

My folks bred and trained Labs for years and e never had any problem with them scuffing or coloring paint—well occasionally muddy streaks, pond scum, …. With a high durability topcoat I don't see why not do white if that's what you want. So whats with the dog?
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
JR1 said:

There are several choices in black or nearly so finishes but you must decide. After all it's your cabinets. Personally I'd go for semi gloss or gloss. I'd also give serious consideration to: Driftwood, Queenstown Gray, Coastal Blue as well as Lamp Black or Dark Chocolate. It's available in pints so you might want to run up some test pieces to see what you like. (This assumes that you have a good local source, online is prohibitive as it's a hazamt.) Yes this testing is a pain but you will likely live with the result for years. As for topcoat they recommend High Performance Topcoat for high wear areas. It's similar to Enduro Clear Poly. See What is the difference between professional Enduro Clear Poly and High Performance Topcoat?

My folks bred and trained Labs for years and e never had any problem with them scuffing or coloring paint—well occasionally muddy streaks, pond scum, …. With a high durability topcoat I don't see why not do white if that's what you want. So whats with the dog?

Chessies have a water proof coat. If they jump in the water and shake off afterwards they are nearly dry and are fully dry minutes later. This is because they have an oily coat, and it is that oily nature that causes the dirt transfer.
Yes well so do Labs, possibly not as bad though. I can see where the need to wipe down walls often gets old (it got old for us kids who had the chore).
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I got around to looking at that link, JR1. GF's comparison of Enduro Clear Poly and HP Poly makes it sound like HP Poly is almost as good as Clear Poly in terms of chemical resistance. My testing showed that to be a gross over statement. Clear Poly is not damaged by much of anything while alcohol will attack HP Poly with long term exposure and acetone and ammonia will attack it almost immediately. GF claims HP Poly is recommended for kitchen cabinets, yet they do not list it as KCMA rated; Clear Poly is.

I like HP Poly a lot, but it's not a product I would consider for kitchen cabinets or table tops.

John
I found it funny you were worried about color fashions while you compared to what retailers now emphasize. IMO all colors come into and go out of fashion and look dated. I suppose even natural wood has some sort of cycle, but I'd just pick what you/she likes and enjoy.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
TomFromStLouis said:

I found it funny you were worried about color fashions while you compared to what retailers now emphasize. IMO all colors come into and go out of fashion and look dated. I suppose even natural wood has some sort of cycle, but I'd just pick what you/she likes and enjoy.

If that's the case I regret throwing out my bell bottom jeans.

Do you really think honey oak will come back in fashion? I don't.