dedicated line for a refrigerator in my garage
I am getting ready to drywall a section of my garage and before I "close it up", I want to install a dedicated electric line for my refrigerator. I think the electrical code requires all electrical outlets in a garage to be on a GFI and over the years, this has caused problems for us as the GFI would trip and three days later, we open the refrigerator door and all the food is spoiled.

Anyway, I want to just run a dedicated(I guess 15 amp) service to support this refrigerator/freezer unit. I have a bunch of 12/2 with Ground wire that I accumulated and I would like to use that. When I get around to connecting this to the breaker, I am going to have to install one of those dual circuit circuit breakers but doubt that will be an issue.

While I am at it, I am thinking of possible installing a 240 volt line in the garage should I ever need it. What type of wiring would I want to use for that??

Am I generally on the right "page". thanks-brian
You can use the 12/2 for your circuit.

the 240 volt line what amperage do you want? I personally would not want to run any less than 12 gauge so I'd run 12/3. Even if your tool doesn't need a separate neutral something in future might.
I'd go ahead and do the 240v wiring with a panel and have a spot in the panel for the fridge.

Use an extension cord for the fridge until your done.
Daddo, if I understand what you are saying....are you suggesting I install a sub-panel next to my main panel as I am obviously out of "space" in my panel now. Presumably, this would then give me the space for my new 15 amp service and the potential 240 line in the future....

Regarding the amperage I need for the 240 line, I am not sure. This is not a real "working garage" in the sense that I would ever have real working machinery. I have thought from time to time about playing around with a light-weight welder but I am not bit sure that will ever happen. I have my woodshop in another location on the property which is where all my big tools sit.
I would do a 60 amp with 6/3 and you can put a subpanel on it if you want, or it's enough to run a welder.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Codes say one nonGFCI circuit for freezer/fridge is legit in garages.
Wire gauge is based on amps, not volts. Check the amp draw of any equipment you think you might want in the future and size the wire accordingly.

Oh, and make sure your panel accepts tandem breakers. Not all do.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Is your garage heated? Many modern refrigerators are not designed to operate in low ambient temperatures and will not cool properly or at all.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Woodenfish said:

Is your garage heated? Many modern refrigerators are not designed to operate in low ambient temperatures and will not cool properly or at all.

Even more important with high ambient temps. Fridges don't cool well when in a 100*+ garage. They run all the time and use quite a bit of electricity and still don't cool well. Cold temps aren't as big of a deal but if it's too cold the compressor will not start up well due to thick oil and tight moving parts. But if it's that cold it most likely won't be running anyway.