tool rest post adapter
Is there an adapter sold to allow a banjo designed for a 1.125" diameter tool rest post, to be used with with a 1" diameter tool rest post ?

I've found some modular systems with 1.125" diameter posts.

I've also found adapters to use 5/8" diameter posts in 1" diameter banjos.

Robust does sell rests with 1.125" diameter posts as a special order item.

On a diffrent note.

If a rest is nicked up and rough would I be better off using a belt sander or disc grinder on it to smooth out the surface, or try to fill in and smooth out with J B Weld ?
My .02
Karl

What lathe/banjo is this for? The way the banjo grips the tool post will dictate what type of adapter can be used.
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet
measure once cut remeasure said:

On a diffrent note.

If a rest is nicked up and rough would I be better off using a belt sander or disc grinder on it to smooth out the surface, or try to fill in and smooth out with J B Weld ?

Neither. A mill smooth file followed by some wax.

If you use shear scrapers or skews, check to see if the long edge that rests on the tool rest has been eased. sharp long-edges seems to be the main source of dings on iron tool rests.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
iclark said:

[blockquote]measure once cut remeasure said:

On a diffrent note.

If you use shear scrapers or skews, check to see if the long edge that rests on the tool rest has been eased. sharp long-edges seems to be the main source of dings on iron tool rests.

[/blockquote]

Joint with the file to make sure you don't leave a low spot. "Draw filing" is the way to finish. If an unfamiliar term, look it up and there will be a lot of information.

Use an overhand grip when turning and you won't mess up the rest.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
iclark said:

[blockquote]measure once cut remeasure said:

[/blockquote]

+1 on what he said. After the file I do take a piece of 180 paper to smooth it down and then wax.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Brian

The banjo is original to the PM90 that it came with. The banjo will tighten up on a 1" diameter piece of wood, but might not be very solid on a 1" tool post.

I thought about buying some steel tubing that is 1.125" OD x 1.027" ID. I could split in half and put in in the banjo hole to provide a good suface for a 1" diameter post to be pressed into.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#89955k929/=10ht5pm

The lathe came out of a school hence the knicked up 12" straight tool rest.

I can't complain, as the lathe came with a jacobs drill chuck, a couple spur centers, a couple calipers, the 12" tool rest, a 90* tool rest, and kalamozoo industries # 6606 4 independent jaw chuck.

The mobile base made primarily with microlam is getting a final coat of paint today. Midwest version of the following casters were bought on sale for a delivered cost of $65 per set of 4. a few weeks back.

http://www.amazon.com/80-20-1000Lb-Level...1000lb+capacity
My .02
Karl

Karl

I seen some that go from 5/8 to 1" but have not looked for bigger one. Maybe check Robust website.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Is there just one rest that has a 1" post instead of 1.125" or are there several?
If just one, then I would just put a sleeve over the one post and call it done. If several then it makes sense to do something with the banjo.
McMaster also sells 1.125 OD x 1.009 ID tubing that might be a better fit.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#89955k188/=10hvo3m
Rodney

thanks for the heads up on the mcmaster's item.

My kid is looking to add a shorter rest to the lathe once it gets placed.
My .02
Karl

Does the banjo on the PM90 have 2 pieces that pinch together internally to tighten the rest in place or is there a handle/bolt that screws in against the rest like PM3520b has?
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet