Delta 22-560 brushes
All;

Was using the planer earlier today. Changed blades recently, taking light passes, etc. The breaker in the shop is overly sensitive so I tripped it the typical number of times with the DC going.

Planer motor seemed a little sluggish while using it this morning on hard pine. Later on I tried to start it up and it would not turn on.

Took the switch out, looked fine. Took the front brush out, looks about at 75% thickness (I know nothing about brushes) with rough spots on outer edge. Flipped it 180 degrees, cover back on, pulled the switch and still nothing.

Pulled out the brush on the back, looked the same, flipped it 180 degrees. Toggled the On switch and the motor started right up.

Not sure if the contact points on the brush were roughed up too much and that's why flipping them 180 degrees fixed it. The wire coming off the brushes looked pretty fried, especially the back one.

Any suggestions on this, should I replace brushes or call it good? For reference, here is a link to the ones I found.

Jake
"Above all else, he's a happy woodworker, and he'll be laid in his coffin with the most unexplainable grin on his face for he has known he has lived." -Cian
woodsman83192 said:

The wire coming off the brushes looked pretty fried, especially the back one.

That would be your que to replace them.

John
+1
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
By that, I mean there is discoloration. The wire coming off the brush is no frayed. I'll replace them, but what is the potential risk if this is not fixed -- less the motor just not starting at an unknown time?

What purpose does the wire and steel slotted cap serve? I've little knowledge of electric motors. Thanks.

Jake
"Above all else, he's a happy woodworker, and he'll be laid in his coffin with the most unexplainable grin on his face for he has known he has lived." -Cian