Finish for treenware
This topic has been covered before, but I'm having no luck with the search function. Please forgive my request to cover well worn ground.

I just carved my first spoon and I need advice on finishing it. It's soft maple. I'm aware that many use mineral oil for this kind of thing, but my understanding is that mineral oil affords minimal protection, and what little protection it offers is compromised by soap and water. I am leaning toward tung oil as an in-the-wood finish that cures and provides a more durable finish than mineral oil. I have two tung oil finishes on hand: Formby's Tung Oil Finish and McClosky's Tung Oil Finish. Both contain tung oil along with other ingredients. I've read elsewhere that when completely cured, most finishes are "food safe." Does "most" include the Formby's and McClosky's tung oil finishes I have on hand? I can buy pure tung oil, but I understand it takes a long time to cure. I could also use pure linseed oil (not BLO), but I understand it has a lengthy cure as well and is somewhat less durable than tung oil.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or recommendations you folks might offer.

Thanks in advance.

Hank
The use of a neutral finish which can be ingested is a good idea. Any non drying oil plus a edible wax is safe finish. Food safe just means that it is OK in contact with food not that it's edible. For instance food grade shellac is edible. Maple can be an allergen so be aware. You want an edible finish so an edible oil plus wax or food grade shellac is your choice for a spoon that will be used to eat with.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes