Post Drill
Found this post drill for sale and made the call, I'm first in line for it. Can anyone ID it? The owner told me that the part of the advancing mechanicanism that engages the top gear broke off before he bought it and always intended to fix it but never got around to it. He says that you can manually spin the wheel and advance . Can anyone ID this thing so I can find accurate picture of the missing mechanism? Also looks to be missing the table.

] " />
~ Chris
Check out the Vintage Machinery web site. Enter "post drill" in the search function and you'll get a large number of manufacturers. Each one has a photo index with numerous photos of the various models. You should find something there to help.
Good luck.
Is there anything cast into the frame? As far as the feed mechanism, it looks like the knotched wheel may be upside down. Vintagemachinery.org is a good source for info, when you identify a manufacturer.
When you mount it, make sure that the top of the crank doesn't go above your shoulder. I had to lower mine, because it wore me out.
Good luck with the buy, it looks to be in pretty good shape. I can't help identify it other than to repeat the suggestion to check out Vintagemachinery.org site. I've had very good luck over there.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I belive I've found a match here . A Boynton and Plummer No. 2 post drill. The one in the picture has the same advancing mechanism broken off, although it appears a bit lower down than the one I'm looking at
~ Chris
It looks like I was wrong about the drive wheel. Here is one with the arm, but no wheel. http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?id=16913
It looks a lot like the Canedy Otto I have.. but they all look a lot alike.

Nice find!

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

So, did ya get it?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Dave,

I did not buy it.... Yet. I'm a little nervous about how much it will cost to have a machine shop make a piece to replace the broken and missing auto advance arm. Also it is missing its table.. As well, I'd have to put a new chuck on the spindle to be able to use modern bits in it. All these extra costs are giving me pause..
~ Chris
I looked for quite a while to find a reasonably priced post drill that was complete. Mine is not perfect, but I'm glad I didn't get one needing pieces and work. If you're having second thoughts, you should probably listen to them. While most post drills look a lot alike, they don't have interchangeable parts.