16-32 OE Drum Help
I bought 1 used (kept looking in my mirror for the cops). I have to replace the abrasive. I got with it a template sand paper but not certain how to use it.

Any help to a newbe on this tool would be appreciated.
Jim
Use the old paper as a pattern. I just buy my paper already cut.
I 2nd the motion. I buy pre-cut paper.
I purchase my abrasive in bulk in rolls that are already the proper width. Then it's just a matter of laying the old sandpaper on top of the new and cutting the taper on each end.

As mentioned, you can also buy precut rolls but they cost more and I'm cheap

Here is a video of changing the abrasive on a 22-44. Same process as 16-32 but with a longer drum.

web page

Mike
If you only have to determine the first cut length and the angle take a piece of string ,wrap it around the drum and mark the sting at the point it intersects the end.

Lay it on the sandpaper from the correct corner to start with and angle the string until it intersects the opposite edge.

lay a straight edge on the paper at this angle and cut.

If you need the length of the paper and the opposite end cut after this initial cut wrap the paper on to the drum until it intersects the other end of the drum and mark the paper ( I knife it here so I can find it again.This will be the wide end of the tapering cut

Unroll, find the knife mark lay the string from this point to the opposite side of the paper and cut along that line with a straightedge. The sting lays on the paper adding the length of the taper cut ( go the opposite way and the paper will be too short.)

Wrap it back on the drum , if the paper lays without overlapping the opposite end you got it . If it does overlap the end too much just trim it in place.

Now you have a template for well ever unless you trash the paper . IOW when you need to change the paper out next time lay it on a bench secure it to the new one ( I use the springy paper clips) with the edges aligned and cut the angles.

HTH

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I did what has already been described.

To start, I bought precut. It was cheaper than screwing up.

I used the precut to make a template on a 1/4" scrap of plywood. The template is simply a guideline for the end of the strip of sandpaper. I can lay the template on the end and draw a utility knife along the edge, to cut the taper.

The template is well marked, so I know what side is up and what direction to point it. The length of the strip is also marked.

Now I buy roles, measure and cut.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I cut mine (performax) like the manual suggested.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/629004K_man.pdf
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I've bought rolls of Klingspor and Jet paper. Inside the box the Jet was actually Klingspor.

The paper was marked on the back in different colors for different machines. Cut on the right color line and no templates are needed, unless your machine isn't included.

--
See ya later,
Bill