Festool track saw - cord or battery?
I bought myself a domino for christmas with a dust extractor and must like I was warned, I am already in search of my next festal product. I have been looking at the track saw. I like the idea of using it for breaking down sheet goods, but I also think that using it with the MFT/3 seems like it would be very handy for larger sheets that tend to be unruly on a crosscut sled.

My question is should I get the cordless model? I like the advantages of the cordless one and with the volume that I will probably use it, I would probably never run into issues with it being low on a charge. The flip side is that I would almost always be using it within reach of the duct extractor and thereby within reach of the cord. I wish they made the corded one with an optional battery pack for when you don't have access to the cord.

From those who have them, what are the non obvious advantages of one over the other?
I had the dewalt cordless for a while when they had the clearance prices on them. I just have the 2 festool corded models now. The battery version won't allow you to turn the vac automatically when trigger is pressed and if you want to use it on thicker solid wood you may find the power lacking. Personally I didn't find the lack of a power cord a big benefit because I still had the vac hose attached. Using it with only the dust bag would be different but I never did that.
Very good point about losing the automatic vac activation. unless I NEEDED the cordless that would be enough of a decision maker to me.

It is definitely a slippery slope
-Marc

I bought the dewalt cordless saw when they were on sale, not knowing how much I would use it, but couldn't pass up the deal.

After a year or so of having it, the first battery died. Rather than spend $165 per battery to replace them, especially considering that (my understanding) li-ion batteries have a shelf life even if you don't use them I didn't want to throw good money after bad, so I got the corded version.

I really like the corded version better, as it has quite a bit more power.
The cordless was fine for breaking down sheet goods, but for putting a straight edge on a live 2" slab of hickory, I don't think the cordless would have had the guts.

Now if I thought anybody would pay for it, I would probably sell the cordless one, but considering that it would cost over $300 to put together a new set of batteries, it doesn't seem very wise to me to drop that on batteries unless you already have a bunch of other 36v LI-Ion Dewalt stuff.

Duke
The above are good points also there is a significant cost premium. One disadvantage to the TS55 is the 6ΒΌ blades. My local Ace doesn't carry but one of that size. The DeWalt DC300K 36-Volt 7-1/4-Inch and the Hilti both use the more readily available 7-1/4 blades. Check out FOG for more information.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
IMO, a cordless track saw seems like a compromise when electricity is readily available. The potential con's just seem to outweigh the pro's in a shop use by a long shot.

YMMV
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
If your emphasis is having a portable saw, go cordless. I think against any other metric you will benefit greatly having the corded model. I don't own any green tools, but did the exact same comparison on my last DeWally track saw buy. Bought corded again.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The vac is corded and can be started by a corded saw.

For green futures, have you seen the boom and 150/3 and the newer brushless version?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a corded Festool and a corded + cordless DeWalt.

The first thing I would say is don't buy a track saw just to break down sheet goods. The beauty of the track saws, both brands, is that when you make that first cut, it is your final cut. There is no need to finish it up on the table saw.

If you will have one, make it the corded. If you are like me, and quite a few others, you will forget to turn the dust collector on with the cordless until after you made a mess.

I use the cordless in the nice weather when I can work outside.
See ya later,
Bill
Unless you're where you can't plug in a cord, corded is the way to go. More power is the best reason. And who wants to keep recharging batteries? I don't know what a Festool battery would cost, but I imagine it's a lot more than brushes cost for the track saw.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill