Need a wood ID, please.
Not sure if there is a dedicated thread for this, but need help ID'ing this:

I'm a complete newbie... Oak?
Looks to me like red oak but seeing the end grain would help.
+1

Some good tips on telling here

My Uncle, who was the original Joker would cut a 3" long piece about 1" square of red, and white, hand you both with a glass of water, and instruct you to try to use them as a straw. You could suck water through the red oak, not the white. Then he would tell you about tyloses.

A backward demonstration below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXZ9iYM4PA
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Sure looks like red oak to me.
Thanks, Guys. The picture makes it look redder than it is in person, but the grain pattern certainly looks oaky to me. That one black swirl was throwing me off I think. Here's the end grain:
Red oak. I got a piece just like it in my basement.
Yep, red oak. Unfinished red oak is white. Unfinished white oak is brown. Go figure.

If still in doubt, the "straw test" mentioned above will help, too.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Good chance it's red oak. That black line is common. It could also be ash; very similar to RO. But my bet - RO.

The only thing that throws me off is the little black lines. Normally they are short and spaced out a bit more. But since it's riff sawn that could throw them off.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Honey Locust.

Does it stink when wet? Oak. Not, I'd go honey locust.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Ash cross section

I am thinking it could be ash.

No pith rays in your picture, which are usually present in oak.

Ash can have open pores like red oak.

Red oak should have obvious pith rays, which may not show up in your pic, but you should be able to see them with the naked eye.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite