aprons
I have been looking at aprons and would like to hear about which one fellow wn's like. I have seen the ones by bucket boss, rockler and Duluth trading. I also saw one by carhart but it looked too long for me. My thoughts is it could be easier to carry some of my tools as well as trying to keep off saw dust and any finishes Iam applying.
The joys of having a wife that sews. Custom made aprons that fit and are specific to the tools I carry in them. Pockets below the waist and pencil/ruler/caliper pockets across the chest.
I have one of the ones from Duluth as well as a few others. I find myself using the very simple denim apron the most. The one from Duluth is very stiff and heavy. It also isn't long enough (for me).
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Seriously, start here Likely you will find it lacking, but after having an apron of any type on, it will give you an appreciation for them, and you will decide what is important in an apron, because some of the better ones cost a few shekels, and it is better to spend $$$$$ on what you want for you, rather than what some other guy wants for you
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Mike, I settled on what was called a finish carpenter's apron. I liked that it had both a chest pouch and a number of narrow pencil/ruler pockets up top. It has four pouch pockets backed by a number of narrow pockets on both sides at the bottom. It is waist length. I wish that it had flaps on at least some of the lower pockets to keep sawdust out.

The maker seems to have gone out of business. The web site is dead.

The Wood Whisperer Shop Apron might be what I'd buy today.

I don't want to pack a lot in the shop. Rules, small tape measure, pencils, a small square, maybe some fasteners when I need them. I never carry a hammer or screw driver unless I am installing something somewhere. I have a carpenter's tool belt for bigger jobs outside the shop, and a simple nail pouch for simple jobs outside the shop, too.
I have several aprons: a leather one (too heavy) and a nice canvas one from Lee Valley (too stiff), but my favorite is a plain cotton muslin one with a single pencil pocket. It's very light weight, doesn't get in the way, doesn't have big pockets that fill with sawdust and, even though it's badly stained from years of use, it's easy to wash and keep relatively clean.
I have a cheap denim apron I got somewhere years ago.
I think I paid like $10 for it. Gempler's sells them.
They probably cost more these days.
I have a few shop aprons. The one I like best is the cross-back apron from Rockler. I like the four-section waist pocket and cross-back design to keep the weight off my neck.
I prefer the "old tyme" machinist's aprons..They are made so the upper pockets can swing free at the top and keep your rules {or micrometers} from falling out when you bend over...

Also like the plastic "snaps" that once adjusted, are easy to "unsnap" to remove the straps...prevents having to tie and untie them...

And "flaps" over the lower pockets would help keep the wood chips out..especially bad when at the lathe.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Paul-in-Plymouth said:

The one I like best is the cross-back apron from Rockler. I like the four-section waist pocket and cross-back design to keep the weight off my neck.

+!

P.S. - mine will now not fit - seems I've expanded.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard