Question on center finding device
A long time ago I used a center finding device and I would very much like to find one like it again, but I have no idea what it was called or who made it and have not had much luck in my search and was hoping maybe someone here would be able to help.

It looked like a fairly thick wood and brass ruler, I believe the one I used was 12" long. At the center of edge of the ruler (6" mark in my example) there was a small point that stuck out off the edge of the ruler. To either side of it were sliding "hooks" similar to the point on a calilper jaw that stuck out from the edge of the ruler and hung off to one side slightly. These were geared to each other internally, so you could move either of them and the other would move in the opposite direction.

With these you could either use them like a calipers to find both edges of an item, or since they stuck out slightly from the bottom of the ruler, you could sit the ruler flat on something and push them together until they touched the edges. Then you'd just stand the ruler up on edge and the center point would make a small mark on whatever you were measuring.

Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone? I have no idea where I used it at, but at least in my memory it appeared to be a mass produced item. I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
if it helps at all, I quickly drew what I remember it to basically look like.

This is a view from above. http://imgur.com/abPQCBi

This view shows how the jaws were offset. http://imgur.com/0q8fOaS
not what you described but this would work equally as well

and you make it yourself so it can be as long as you want just make the pins removable to extend as required
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Here is a slightly different concept, which I find useful ..

The centre hole may be used for a pencil or awl. However, I conceived this for marking out/centering mortices or even tenons, so it does so much more than a centre gauge ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...Gauge.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Nice work, jgrout. Unfortunately, the jobs I need this for is too close to the ends of my pieces for that type of design.

Derek, I think that little contraption you posted just might work, though, since it looks like you could mark all the way to the end as long as you had the guides registered on the edges.

I would still love to find the tool I had used just because it was such a neat little piece of engineering, but I think I have an option that will at least do what I need here.
Check HF. Plastic version works fine. $5 maybe.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
MsNomer said:

Check HF. Plastic version works fine. $5 maybe.

Did you mean they had something like my original question, or something like what Derek had posted? I couldn't find anything similar on their website but can check next time I get near one.
Maybe you could use a pencil in a self-centering dowel jig. Perhaps this $15 HF one would do.
bloggstein said:

Nice work, jgrout. Unfortunately, the jobs I need this for is too close to the ends of my pieces for that type of design.

Derek, I think that little contraption you posted just might work, though, since it looks like you could mark all the way to the end as long as you had the guides registered on the edges.

I would still love to find the tool I had used just because it was such a neat little piece of engineering, but I think I have an option that will at least do what I need here.

Make a mark anywhere that the pins can be engaged on the stock and use that to transfer the mark to a marking gauge..

that solves the end issue..
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy