What am I doing wrong?
So, I am installing an old Columbian vise into the skirt of my Nicholson workbench. For some reason I can't get the screw to engage. Either in or out. There is an enclosure that doesn't enclose. For comparison I am showing a no name 10 inch vise with a bolted enclosure. It works.
I am sorry if this is a stupid question.
Any idea what to do?

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I don't know off the top of my head but I can check mine at the shop tomorrow.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Boatman53 said:

I don't know off the top of my head but I can check mine at the shop tomorrow.
Jim

Thanks Jim
The casting for the locking mechanism is not "exact" but my Columbian which is similar to yours, maybe exact, has never been reliable with locking, unlocking, or sliding. It ised to work to the point of being functional, but when I moved the bench out to the garage I removed the face off the vise and when I reinstalled it it became nearly unusable. Never liked it and I will probably replace it. However, I will watch this thread with interest.

One thing I notice right away from the pictures is that the locking collar with the hinge is I believe, upside down. It needs to be rotated almost 90 degrees around the threaded shaft and the Angled portion of the small ear has to be engaging from the bottom on those ribs. You can see the wear marks there. If that doesn't work, then it needs to be flipped around. I'm pretty sure the smaller angled ear has to be engaging the rib with the angle, not the straight part of the ear. The other larger ear I think just nests up inside that cut out.

Have you disassembled the vise or is it as you acquired it? Previous tinkering and incorrect assembly may be to blame here.

However, you have good reason to not take my advice because I just said, mine doesn't work worth a lick anymore. It did at one time though. I bought mine in pieces though and had to trial and error it back together through many non identical internet pictures. I stumbled upon one picture of the underside of one finally though and all became clear and that was the time it worked. I'm pretty sure that locking collar hanging down like that is flat out wrong though. Even unlocked, it has to remain up in that little nested area. I should also note I had to fabricate a rod end plate. The plate with three holes that is held on by a roll pin going through the end of the threaded rod. I may have gotten the geometry off ever so slightly and is just now coming to fruition.

Also the locking collar has an arrow on it and the word "front". Which way is front exactly, I don't know. I think I faced mine towards the face of the vise.

Here is my vise. And here is the underside of it.

---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Based on this thread over on LJs. it looks like you want the nut free to rotate inside the retaining casting.

You also want enough friction between the nut and screw so that the nut will rotate when the screw rotates.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
iclark said:

Based on this thread over on LJs. it looks like you want the nut free to rotate inside the retaining casting.

You also want enough friction between the nut and screw so that the nut will rotate when the screw rotates.

Based on that, mine looks upside down. I don't know who the OEM is on that Craftsman vise in the link but Im pretty sure Columbia was one of them through the ages. Mine is partially disassembled right now and I will try to have another look when I get home from work.

As it is, mine "works". Just takes a little petting.

Also, down in the thread it says to keep the QR mechanism greased. Probably good advice.
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Well. Mine is fixed now thanks to that link. I think you may have your answer.

Thanks for posting that. I am very mechanically inclined too but there was definitely some kind of disconnect going on with me and this vise this time.

Lined with some sewing machine oil and it does pretty well now.
She's alive!!

Thanks so much for all the help and the link.
Axehandle said:

Well. Mine is fixed now thanks to that link. I think you may have your answer.

Thanks for posting that. I am very mechanically inclined too but there was definitely some kind of disconnect going on with me and this vise this time.

Lined with some sewing machine oil and it does pretty well now.

You got the answer before I could offer my help. I installed mine exactly as you did the first time... the dang nut was upside down... I was pissed for a long time until I figured it out.
Now, paint or don't paint?

what do ya'll use to lubricate the screw?