crosscut sled
looking for a plan or ideas for a crosscut sled
Richard,

I built this one from Highland Woodworking many years ago when I was starting out. I have been very happy with it, except that it takes up some space to store.

I bought the kit but could have just used the instructions and done without it. You could use oak guides in the miter slots. I put the plastic blade cover aside and never used it. I did make the big, laminated handle and "exit block". The handle, however you make it, is a must to keep your hands away from the blade. A stop block to prevent the blade from cutting through the front of the sled is a must.

Doug
Here:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...part=1&vc=1
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I looked forever on the net for a good design that I liked. I settled on this as a basic design. Super nice that it is adjustable for squareness. Not to mention that it works as a zero-clearance dado sled as well. I built a larger one and a mid-sized one. Absolutely awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyB9uA-Q9xY
Thanks Larry. Out of all the sled designs I have seen, I like this one the best. I would make one change, and that is to put a replaceable insert on the bottom too.

I think it is time for me to make a sled !
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
This one for a router.
Center guide is trapped between 2 phenolic rails screwed to jig plate aluminum.
Has no where to go but straight.
Guides are adjustable to zero out slop.
Might be an idea here for you.
Pat Warner
Gary G™ said:

Here:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...part=1&vc=1

That’s a beautiful sled. I take it that MMarzluf is deceased?

I wonder about some people who post here and then just disappear. I am sure some of them move on to other interests, have a falling out with people on the forum, or in a few cases get banned.

Sometimes I see notices that someone has died, others not so much. Has anyone created a list of deceased members?

I don’t post here all that much, but I don’t think any of my family knows that I do. If I were to die tomorrow, I would just disappear from the forum.

My brother, who does financial planning, has been working on a paper on preparing information for your heirs about your online accounts. Perhaps I’ll check to see if he includes instructions about forums that should be notified after one’s death.

As I said, I am not a very active participant, but I do read a lot more than I post, and I consider this a community with some really helpful people where I can get information and ask questions.
Hank Gillette
I built the one Jerry Cary shows in his book on building kitchen cabinets before I built my kitchen. Three things his has that I haven't seen on others, that I think are critical from a safety standpoint are: 1) a plexiglas guard above the blade spannng from the front to back rest, 2) a blade guard behind the back rest so the blade can't cut your hand at the end of the cut, and 3) a forward limit stop. They all work together to reduce the probability of an accident.

John
After wrestling with several sleds I found this works best for me. Light and adjustable.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
hankgillette said:

That’s a beautiful sled. I take it that MMarzluf is deceased?

His ex wife may wish for that, but MMarzluf is just dead to WoodNet.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW