small freezer
Can I put a small freezer in my unheated garage? Will it create any issues?

Also there are raccoons around. Do I need to add a deadbolt or hasp?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Chest freezers usually have a lock built in and I put a childproof lock on my freezer (upright) just to make sure everyone closes the door, as it did not have a lock. Should be no problem in the garage.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
woodhead said:

Chest freezers usually have a lock built in and I put a childproof lock on my freezer (upright) just to make sure everyone closes the door, as it did not have a lock. Should be no problem in the garage.

Al

Thanks.

I will check for a lock.
I have both a upright and chest freezer in my garage for the last 7 years with no issues. they both have lock, but we don't use them.
CapecodWW said:

I have both a upright and chest freezer in my garage for the last 7 years with no issues. they both have lock, but we don't use them.

Do you think they are raccoon-proof?
Your house isn't raccoon proof. I've seen them rip of f siding and make their own hole through a brand new roof. Draw your own conclusion on a cooler.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Cooler said:

unheated should actually increase effciency as it disperses heat faster. Now, not sure what will happen in the summer......

You may if they can get in your garage. They are wily critters. I used a rope and a rubber cargo strap, but that was because I had a poor door seal.

srv52761 said:

[blockquote]Cooler said:

unheated should actually increase effciency as it disperses heat faster. Now, not sure what will happen in the summer......

You may if they can get in your garage. They are wily critters. I used a rope and a rubber cargo strap, but that was because I had a poor door seal.

[/blockquote]

They do get in the garage especially in the winter when food is scarce. It is a simple matter to pop rivet on a deadbolt or a hasp. So that sounds like a good idea.

As for the temperature in the garage: In the summer it gets as hot as the house. I use a whole house attic fan except for the very hot days.

In the winter it gets as cold as it is outdoors. So this morning it would have been 8 degrees F.

I figured it would work a little hard in the summer. My other option is to put it in the basement but the garage is much more convenient.

Thanks for the replies.

Cooler
It'll be fine in the garage there. Winter won't hurt it but summer will but it doesn't get hot in NY so nothing to worry about.

Not sure about the racoons. Don't really have them here but we do have skunks.
Robert Adams said:

It'll be fine in the garage there. Winter won't hurt it but summer will but it doesn't get hot in NY so nothing to worry about.

Not sure about the racoons. Don't really have them here but we do have skunks.

We've got both. The skunks wouldn't be so bad if they'd only look both ways before crossing the road. The raccoons are a nuisance.