Vise jaw linings OTHER than leather?
I use leather on both faces. Attached by carpet tape, works great for me.

Paul Sellers always uses his "Shelf Liner" stuff... the kind that you line your kitchen cabinets with. He has a piece attached to the vise, and when he is chopping a mortise in the vise he uses it for extra grip.
Scoony said:

Cork works great.

I got the sheets with adheasive back and put them on magnet sheets to use on my pattern makers vice. THe cork will get worn down, but is cheap and easy to replace. Hobby stores carry it in rolls and sheets.

I got mine at my local fleet store (Running's, Tractor Supply, etc., depending on your location)...gasket material, although no adhesive backing. May be cheaper than a hobby store, too.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I've heard the non stick rug underlay or shelf liners work well.
Industrial felt
Rubbery anti slip stair tread. PSA backed already.
Furniture maker
Clock maker
Trouble maker
www.schoolofwood.com
AgGEM said:

[blockquote]Scoony said:

Cork works great.

That is what I have been using too.
Ag

[/blockquote]
That's what I used on my Moxon too. The hobby store squares may be a tad more expensive than some places, but we're talking a buck or two. Chances are you'll spend more in gas finding an odd-ball item suggested here, so I would just see what you can find at the closest place to home
Benny

Jim,

I used thick black leather, with the grain side out and the shiny side glued to the jaw face for my new bench and moxon. I bought it from the Tandy dealer here in Halifax. They had lots of choices in colour and weight. There is a store in Vancouver (Surrey), I found it better to go to the store and I bought a damaged hind which has given me lots for now and future, for about $100.

I know you were looking for other options, hope this is helpful though.

Rich
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
MauleSkinner said:

[blockquote]Scoony said:

Cork works great.

I got the sheets with adheasive back and put them on magnet sheets to use on my pattern makers vice. THe cork will get worn down, but is cheap and easy to replace. Hobby stores carry it in rolls and sheets.

I got mine at my local fleet store (Running's, Tractor Supply, etc., depending on your location)...gasket material, although no adhesive backing. May be cheaper than a hobby store, too.

[/blockquote]

+1 on gasket material which is not natural cork, some sort of synthetic, get it in sheets at the auto parts store, adhere with spray on 3M adhesive. Works great as backing for sanding blocks too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Automotive gasket material (cork) works great. I have been using it for years.
I've used cork also. In an old Wentworth vise I used some screen liner in the original slot that was for for leather that was missing(?) - that rubber tube stuff to hold a screen in. worked well enough.
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com