At What Point Do You Consider Building Your Own Cabinet Doors?
Current cabinet project has me in need of twelve identical cabinet doors. Dimensions are 13 15/16" wide x 18 3/8" tall. The project designer (LOML) wants them in a "Shaker style". Picture some plain jane S4S boards (probably pine or poplar) for the rails & stiles, with a sheet of 1/4" something (either ply or MDF) for the panel. About the simplest cabinet door I can think of.

I'm getting quotes of $25-$30 a door unfinished. That's going to be $350-$400 in doors alone. All the material for the cabinet boxes didn't cost me $100.

So at what point do you consider making the doors yourself? The quantity tells me to shop it out. And while I've never made doors before, the style tells me that I can do this.

I've always been able to get and MDF door to suit my needs before. But this time, I think I need a real door.
I would build them. 12 identical doors are much easier than 12 different doors, and shaker style is the easiest to make. You do not even need a set of router bits. These are simply stub tenon doors that can be made on the table saw.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
You can probably do it yourself and probably cheaper. I think the main question is how long it will take you and if that will work with your timeline. If you're not sure maybe build one and see how long it takes u.
Twelve identical Shaker style doors with plywood panels - no question or me; I would do it myself. As said, all you need is a TS after you get the stiles and rails planed to thickness.

John
Building is one thing, finishing is another.
What kind of use will they see?
If kitchen or bath, a "factory finish" may be more durable.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
I built an entire kitchen full of beech doors and finished them with Minwax Polycrylic. Nary an issue with the finish.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Okay- this is good. Apply with brush or spray?
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
prices for the doors seem reasonable.
If I make the cabinet I will definitely make the doors. As was said all the same size will make it much easier. Besides the satisfaction that you did it.
Hope this helps,Bob
If you want to learn how to build doors through mind numbing repetition, this is your chance.