Is a LAJ plane the answer??
I have been using hand planes for over 10yrs, and to me, there is nothing better when it comes to the many tasks we go through when working a project. I have a decent collection of bench planes, ranging from a #3 to #8, and a few specialty planes, such as shoulder, router plane, scraper, rabbet & scrub plane. As I go to flea markets and yard sales throughout the year, I am naturally attracted to any hand tools that are being sold, and always seem to walk away some sort of tool. As I work projects, I realize that I seem to use the same planes for just about all my projects, which includes smoothing, jointing, flattening, etc. However, the one area that I still rely on using sand paper is end grain. I make several end grain cutting boards each year, whether for my wife, gifts or for sale. I have been reading several posts, blogs and articles on how fellow woodworkers go about finishing their end grain cutting boards, and it appears that most use some sort of sanding device, such as drum or belt sanders. I have, and currently rely on a combination of hand sanding and power sanding(orbital sander) when finishing my cutting boards. Is there a hand plane that can accomplish this task without much tear out? I have read that Low Angle Jack from LV and LN is a good plane from such jobs, but I don't know anyone that has this plane that can confirm. I would like to purchase a Low Angle Jack, as I heard it is a very versatile plane aside for just end grain planing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott
I use a bevel up jointer for the extra mass. The twist is that I've got the bevel set to 45 degrees. I'm not sure if it's the lower mass, but it cuts a bit nicer than a bevel down. Copious amounts of wax for lubrication, of course. I've finished a half dozen in hard maple over the past couple years this way, takes no time at all. The surface is ready off the plane, but I usually scuff for a few seconds with 400 grit and its like glass.

The most important thing is sharp. I shoot end grain sometimes with a bevel at 55, it all works, just takes a bit more arm.
I think that if any hand plane will smooth an end grain cutting board a low angle, bevel up jack will. The original Stanley 62 was designed for that specific purpose. Even so, I still think it would be a tough job to get a nice surface on an end grain cutting board with a hand plane. You might be successful with a very sharp iron and a very thin cut. I've never tried it, so don't take my comments as gospel. Others may, and probably will, disagree.

Having said that, I should add that a low angle, bevel up jack plane is truly a jack of all trades. I use mine more than any other plane I have. I almost never pick up a bevel down bench plane anymore; I almost always choose either a block plane or my low angle jack. The exception is my jointer plane, and then only when I need the length. I took a week-long workshop at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine several years ago. It was taught by Garrett Hack. Hack commented several times during the week that his low angle jack was his favorite plane. Mine has certainly become my favorite. If I could have only one bench plane, it would be a low angle jack.
Have you used your regular BD planes on end grain? If the blade is sharp, it will work just fine. You may end up preferring a BU jack for such things and more, just want to make sure you know what you already have can do the job.