Convert planer to Shelix head
I have an older Bridgewood planer and the knives are getting tired. I see that I can buy a Shelix head for it. Are these very difficult to install? Has anyone done a Bridgewood planer before. Are there things to look out for. Am I foolish to invest this much money in such an old machine? I'm interested in any help or suggestions.

Thanks,
Bill
Generic 4 post planer shelix install instructions

Takes a few hours and if you do your own bearings a puller

the rest is just time...

One note: sometimes you will run into an issue with an odd part not fitting. there are solutions though if you hit a snag people are around who can help

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe,
Thank you for providing the instructions. I was hoping to see what it would take to do the switch before I decided if this is what I want to do. It doesn't appear to be that big of a deal to switch the head out.
Will I see much of a difference on the surface of a board. I don't get much tear out now, but the planer seems to work harder, because the blades are really dull.

Bill
I believe that shelix belongs in planers and the surfaces are generally better than straight knife planers.

I am going to also say that I think they are a marketers dream on a jointer. you need the stock to be flat so it can be run through a planer not nearly perfect. That is the job of a planer; and done correctly all potential defects left from a jointer are gone from both sides with one machine.

that ought to get em going.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I don't think the age of your planer (as long as it's in otherwise good shape) should keep you from changing to a Shelix. It's not a difficult job and gives you a chance to inspect other things for any maintenance needs while it's apart. Well worth it in my opinion. If the bearings turn out to be something you can't deal with, a machine shop can handle them pretty reasonably.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I just installed one. It's not hard to do it just takes some time. The only part I found frustrating was the gearbox on mine wasn't the same as the instructions so I was left to figure things out on my own. It took me about 3 hours.
JGrout: thanks for that link. I bookmarked it as I am considering a SHELIX.

My only question is why do the instructions and/or video(s) always make it look like it so easy? I am "getting at that age" where nothing seems to be easy or quick anymore....
Like I said there are enough of us who have done it that you can always ask if you hit something that does not seem to be going as expected

I do understand that the instructions seem to make it appear to be mighty easy

Joe

gt64155 said:

Joe,
Will I see much of a difference on the surface of a board.

Bill

My Byrd head makes a much smoother and faster cut than when it had straight knives.

The biggest difference I've noticed is the NOISE level goes way down -- like to not needing earmuffs.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Well, I just ordered a new Byrd Shelix head for my Bridgewood 15 inch planer. I'm not yet sure when it will ship. Time to reread the instructions. I did order a new set of bearings with the new head. They may not be needed, but I might as well replace them when it's all apart. Ater the install, I post about my experience. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Bill